Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

PSD file

by jb2wheeler / January 21, 2004 7:23 AM PST

My daughter sent me a CD with family photos on it which she made with Adobe Elements. I have the MS photo system on my computer and cant open the photos to print them. They are a psd file. How do I get out of this mess. JB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PSD file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PSD file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:PSD file
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2004 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: PSD file
Collapse -
Re:Re:PSD file
by jb2wheeler / January 21, 2004 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: Re:PSD file

Thanks Bob. I am waiting for my confirmation from them now so I can download it. JB

Collapse -
Re:PSD file
by EdH / January 22, 2004 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: PSD file

In addition to Robert's advice I would ask your daughter to flatten psd files and save them (copies) as tiff or jpeg for easier printing and transferring. Also they will take up less space on a CD that way so she could burn more.

Collapse -
Re:Re:PSD file
by jb2wheeler / January 22, 2004 12:59 AM PST
In reply to: Re:PSD file

Thanks EdH, but the reason we wanted large files were because these were 4X4 and 4X6 inch prints transfered to CD that stand a good chance of becoming enlarged to 8X10 or smaller. The pictures are of deceased relatives and we wanted the best face detail we could get. Am I dreaming? I will start that phrase of the project next week. JB

Collapse -
Of this and JPEG.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2004 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:PSD file

While I can only guess why the files are in .PSD form, my camera and scanner delivers all sorts of files such as .JPG (JPEG), .TIF (or TIFF) and more.

These file formats are readily used by all that I correspond with.

I can only guess the camera came with PhotoShot Deluxe.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:PSD file
by EdH / January 22, 2004 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:PSD file

A tiff file of the same pixel dimensions will contain exactly the same detail as the same file in psd form.

The difference in a high quality jpeg will be indiscernable from the original psd. There is some degradation when saving with jpeg compression but you would be hard pressed to detect it.

I would point out that most of the commercial stock photography companies use jpeg files on their CDs (the alternative is tiff). As long as a file is not resaved repeatedly as jpeg there is no danger of quality loss.

The only reason to save in psd is if you have layers that need to be preserved, but the fact that you can't open them on your machine makes me think that that's not the case. A large file does not necessarily mean it's more detailed. Sometimes it's just a waste.

PS: I don't know if it's the case with the recommended viewer, but most software that claims to display psd actually displays a preview if the file was saved with one. So you are not getting the benefit of psd format anyway. And if it was saved without the preview you get nothing.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:PSD file
by jb2wheeler / February 27, 2004 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Re:PSD file

Thanks EdH. I have found out how to change from psd. to jpeg (and probably tiff) in my Photoshop Elements program. I am new to this imigeing thing and learn a little more every day. JB

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

The most beautiful phone ever has one wildly annoying issue

The Samsung Galaxy S8's fast speeds and fantastic curved screen make it a top phone for 2017, but the annoying fingerprint reader could sour your experience.