Samsung forum

General discussion

PS50B679: Network crashes after 3 Minutes

Hi all,

the network connection (ethernet cable) is working for approximately 5 minutes after which the tv cannot be reached in the network anymore (ping, DLNA discovery etc.). The Network Settings must be set to Manual and all tests are correct. Setting to Auto sometimes works but mostly does not which is a bit strange.
The result of this issue is that I can use Internet@TV (Widgets) or DLNA only for this short timeframe (3 minutes).
To be sure that it is not a router-based problem I connected the tv directly to the PC via ethernet cable and assigned an IP manually. The same problem occurs - after approx. 3 Minutes the TV does not respond (to network pakets) anymore.
I'm using firmware 1008 and have also tried the former version 1007 with no luck.

Hopefully someone could give me a hint what's wrong and tell me how to overcome the issue.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS50B679: Network crashes after 3 Minutes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS50B679: Network crashes after 3 Minutes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PS50B679: Network crashes after 3 Minutes

In reply to: PS50B679: Network crashes after 3 Minutes

s0ki,

I can't assist with router settings, but are there any time-out functions in the router itself? You might try to seek some additional information at C|Net's Networking forum - there are some pretty smart networking guys who participate often.

If you're interested, that can be found here:

http://forums.cnet.com/networking-and-wireless-forum/?tag=rb_mtx;f06-fd

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to assist further.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Here's an assist for network settings.

Collapse -
Thanks for your answers. Request for more help

Hi,
thank you very much for your quick reply! That is incredible and awesome!

I did not configure any special timeouts at my router (it's a Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware [tried also dd-wrt with no luck]).
I noticed while sniffing the network with wireshark that the TV is still alive - it sends ARP-Requests to the Gateway (192.168.2.1) however the Gateway does not respond (or does not respond in broadcast-mode which is why I cannot see it in the switched network).
Furthermore, the TV does not respond to ARP-Requests. Maybe it lost the ARP-Entry for the Gateway and does not know how to route the traffic (Gateway-Ping in Networktest is not possible).
All other devices (count: 3) in my network get all their ARP-requests responded so the issue is specific to the Samsung TV...
When I go into the Networktest-Menu at TV and switch to Manual-IP Adress and back to Auto, all tests work again and the TV acts as normal, but just for about 3 Minutes. It's a vicious circle.

I am very thankful for any further tips and hints!

Marcel

Collapse -
Marcel.

In reply to: Thanks for your answers. Request for more help

It's time to go stock. Try another router set to the advice above. While this will not fix a too far away issue, after fixing too many setups your issue looks to be a bum router. The test is simple. Get another in stock form and set it up like above. I ran into a fellow that was "deep" into tomato and ddwrt and while the stock test router worked we couldn't help him with the tomato router. Go figure how that ended.
Bob

Collapse -
Finally after switching Router Internet@TV is working

In reply to: Marcel.

Hi Bob,

After trying the original Linksys firmware I encountered the same issue as described in my first post.
Finally I am using a D-Link DI-624+ router which works at first go. Your thought about "bum router" was correct, however I believe that the linksys as some kind of security setting that prevents "agressive" arp-requests as done by the TV. Unfortunately the D-Link has far fewer configuration options but I can live with that.

Marcel

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.