TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PS3 vs Standalone Blu-Ray Player ???

by dgeorgejr / January 23, 2008 1:00 PM PST

I need some help and opinions, I am thinking about getting a Blu-Ray player and I am torn with either buying a PS3 or a standalone blu-ray player. I already own an Xbox 360 and PS3 doesn?t really have that good of a library of PS3 only titles. What's a HD fool to do?????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 vs Standalone Blu-Ray Player ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 vs Standalone Blu-Ray Player ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PS3 - No Questions Asked
by lilsim89 / January 23, 2008 1:15 PM PST

Maybe the PS3 isn't all the Xbox 360 is cracked out to be, but it does MUCH MUCH more than any regular Blu-Ray player can do (times ten, plus four) and plays Blu-Ray discs as good as some of the most expensive stand-alone players.

I feel your pain. I don't have either system (360 or ps3) but now I have no choice. The PS3 seems like a no brainer now that HD DVD has fallen seriously ill.

My brother and I were debating whether HD DVD could survive, and unless Microsoft and Toshiba start buying studios like crack-addicts buy crack (which is very unlike Microsoft (or is it?)).

Take this to heart. The PS3 is a BEAST at an amazing value. Sony only survives when you purchase a PS3 and a couple games, a controller, etc. They profit from *other* sales. Standalone players must make its own profit, so you get MUCH less product for your dollar.

Verdict: PS3

Collapse -
i had been asking the same question...
by bean99 / January 23, 2008 1:28 PM PST
Collapse -
If this applies to you...
by lilsim89 / January 23, 2008 1:37 PM PST
http://tinyurl.com/24ncwa

Maybe you should get a stand-alone player, or wait until Sony possibly releases an update to fix this.

-Simon
Collapse -
I've got a bit more feedback about my PS3
by Dan Filice / January 23, 2008 3:06 PM PST

That was my original post about the audio issue on the PS3. I'm still very angry about that. I downloaded the latest Firmware update tonight that fixed the issues I was having with the remote not working properly with the Blu-Ray portion. It's pretty cool that you can download Firmware updates on an USB thumb drive and it loads into the PS3. I was again watching "Sunshine" on BD, which in my opinion, takes 2001 to a whole new level. Yeah, there's holes in the story, but WOW! the cinematography is stunning. What a beautiful Sci-Fi flick.

Anyways, after one night of finally playing around with the PS3, here a few more thoughts:
1) The PS3 outputs 1080 24fps on discs mastered as such, and the image is stunning.
2) The PS3 hand control is a LOUSY control for anyone (me) who wants intuitive DVD remote control. Yes, I know that I can buy a "remote", but I just spent $500 on this thing and I'll wait. Learning how to use the PS3 control for watching BD discs is basically a hunt-and-peck learning experience. The manual tells you NOTHING about what buttons to push to control a BD disc or, once you figure it out and get into the menu, the manual tells you NOTHING about the various BD settings available.
3) The menu on the PS3 is confusing at best. It has a million options that have nothing to do with watching a BD disc and mostly with playing games or playing online games.
4) I'm still pissed that the PS3 will not allow audio to come out of both the HDMI and the optical line together. You need to get into the menu to pick the audio-out format every time you use the system. The PS3 does however, give Dolby Digital 5.1 as well as DTS HD Audio. It sounds good and looks good. But a bit of a pain about the audio outputs.
5) Even though I figured out the hand-control and the menu options, the PS3 mode of things does not work as smoothly as a normal DVD player control does. Every time you need to pause or skip or scan, you push the Triangle button and a menu pops up. Not so bad, but there is literally 30 icons that pop up that have NOTHING to do with BD disc play. Rather confusing. And, I don't know if this is still a software update, but when I press the STOP icon, the movie stops, but when I stumble through the menu to press PLAY again, it does not remember where the movie stopped. It starts at the beginning of the movie. Sony needs to fix this.

Collapse -
Oh, one more thing...
by Dan Filice / January 23, 2008 3:53 PM PST

The PS3 does up-converting too, which is nice. When you first go through the initial PS3 setup process, it asks if you want to optimize the PS3 output to match the maximum resolution of your TV. Mine does 1080p, so that's what it converts to.

Collapse -
Stopping a movie
by OttifantSir / January 25, 2008 7:16 PM PST

I guess they thought that when you hit STOP, you want to stop the movie and not watch anymore for a time long enough that you might wish to watch it from the beginning.

I mean, STOP means STOP right? Stop all processes on the disc and concerning the disc. PAUSE seems like a good enough deal to let any player know you're only gone for a few moments and want to watch the movie from where you left off.

Collapse -
Pause, skip & scan
by Luis_Heineken / January 27, 2008 7:30 PM PST

I don't know for you, but for me, I can pause the movie by hitting the start button, As for skip you hit R2 and for scan R1... or for less than $25 you can buy an original sony bluetooth remote that have all the functions

Collapse -
Audio
by bevillan / January 28, 2008 11:38 PM PST

Why do you want audio to come out of both the digital optical output AND HDMI? If you run HDMI to your TV and want surround sound you need to have the optical cable anyway. Or the other option is to run HDMI to a receiver which would eliminate the optical cable.

Do you want to have your TV speakers playing audio as well as your surround sound system at the same time or something?

Collapse -
Yes, Audio out of both.
by Dan Filice / January 29, 2008 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Audio

bearvp,

Yes, I want audio to be available on both the TV speakers and my surround. I don't always want the surround receiver on, and the TV speakers are fine. Other DVD player do what I want, so why not the PS3. If I want to hear the surround speakers, I should simply be able to turn on my receiver and mute the TV speakers instead of going into a menu. No other DVD players have this limitation. The logic many people use is "Why would anyone NOT want to use surround speakers?" My answer is that I only want to use the surround when the DVD content justifies it. Games don't always justify it. Watchng a 3-Stooges or Marx Brothers DVD doesn't necessarily warrant it (mono audio). Watching DVDs that I made don't warrant it. Watching the Looney Toons DVD may not warrant it.

Collapse -
I really don't understand the issue with the audio output...
by 1shothenney / January 28, 2008 9:18 AM PST

I have my PS3 hooked up via HDMI to my tv and run optical to my receiver. By doing this, my HTIB receiver displays 5.1 channels (linear pcm) and it sounds great. I admit, I'm not a real audiophile but I have no complaints about how the PS3 handles this. If I'm missing something, someone please explain it to me. Happy

Also, fan noise isn't a problem with me either and I have my ps3 enclosed in an entertainment cabinet with only 3 inches around on each side. There are situations where the fan really cranks up and that's when I'm folding@home or when I'm having a long gaming session. I've NEVER heard the fan when I'm watching a BD.

I've tested the PS3 by taking it out of the cabinet altogether and it's super quiet no matter what I'm doing. You can barely hear the darn thing.

My vote goes for the PS3 over a standalone player.

Collapse -
I really don't understand the issue with the audio output..
by Dan Filice / January 28, 2008 9:28 AM PST

1shothenney,

I don't have any issues with my PS3 audio, BUT my 80GB system will no SIMULTANEOUSLY output audio from both the HDMI and Optical. My HDMI is connected to the TV, so I can hear the PS3 in the TV speakers, but while doing this I can't turn on the receiver and hear the same audio through the Optical. For my PS3, it's one or the other. No other DVD player does this. They all allow audio to come through HDMI and Optical at the same time. No, it's not a deal breaking thing, but it's annoying because it requires to get into the menu to get audio to the receiver when I'm listening to the TV speakers. I'm very interersted if your system does both audio feeds simultaneously.

Collapse -
I understand your problem...
by 1shothenney / January 28, 2008 10:36 AM PST

I have the original 60GB model and no, it cannot output audio over HDMI and optical at the same time just like the 80GB model; However, I can get audio out of my tv and receiver at the same time. It's quite easy to set up and I don't think you totally understand home I've done it.

PS3===>HDMI out (Audio & Video)===>TV===>Optical(Audio Only)===>Receiver

In other words, I'm passing the audio through my TV via HDMI and then the TV is outputting the digital signal via optical to the receiver. Audio comes from both my TV and my surround speakers. Like I said, I'm no audiophile and I don't know if this is an ideal setup, but this definitely works well for me.

Collapse -
Re: I understand your problem
by Dan Filice / January 28, 2008 11:54 AM PST

I've considered taking the TV Optical-out and plugging that into my receiver, but I've read that TVs do not pass-through 5.1, let alone DTS, which is what I would want. So I scratch my head and ask why TVs have Optical-out? An analog audio-out would do just as good, or so it seems. So, until someone can show me that a TV does pass 5.1 and DTS, I won't do this. I don't want my receiver to simply matrix stereo into 5.1 because it's not the same.

Collapse -
Re: I understand your problem
by spearofsolomon / January 29, 2008 7:47 AM PST

Check pg 51 of the manual for the Panasonic 42PZ700u - at the bottom it says this:

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminals
You can enjoy your home theater by connecting a Dolby Digital (5.1 channel) decoder and ?Multi Channel? amplifier to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminals.
Caution ? Depending on your DVD player and DVD-Audio software the copyright protection function may operate and disable optical output. ? External speakers cannot be connected directly to PROG OUT terminals. ? When an ATSC channel is selected, the output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack will be Dolby Digital. When an NTSC
channel is selected, the output will be PCM.

Collapse -
I just went through the same dilemma
by minimalist / January 23, 2008 9:51 PM PST

I ultimately decided on the standalone Sony. I have owned 4 console game systems over the last 8 years all of them purporting to be DVD players on top of their function as game machines. The problem is that the game machine fuction clearly came first and subsequently the DVD experience was lacking (loud fan noise, clumsy controls, etc).

Now some people on discussion boards have sworn this is not an issue with the PS3, But others have admitted that the fan puts out significantly more noise than a standalone unit. This is a deal beaker for me. The movie experience has to come first.

The main complaints about the standalone players is the load speeds and their supposed "obsolescence" once the profile 1.1 and profile 2.0 players come out. After the firmware update I downloaded from Sony was loaded the "slow" discs (i.e. discs with silly java games on them) load just fine... about 30-40 seconds instead of 15-20. And if "obsolete" means you wont; be able to enjoy picture in picture and "interactive content" put on future Blu-ray releases as bonus content then bring on the obsolescence. Those are just gimmicks. All I care about is a good picture and good sound and this player will suit me just fine for a long while.

Whatever you decide, however, be sure to buy locally from a company that has a 30-day, no questions asked return policy in case you fine that you just cant live with your decision. Beware of the evil "restocking fees".

Collapse -
There are...
by stuntman_mike / January 24, 2008 2:04 AM PST

professional reviews out there (including on this site) if you don't believe that the PS3 has no fan noise. You sound very paranoid, but enjoy your player none the less.

As for dgeorgejr, my opinion is go with the PS3. I am not going to go into why because I am tired. Any positive feedback I give is always ever met by a misinformed post about something they heard the PS3 doesn't do or doesn't do well, and 9 times out of ten it is untrue. Is it perfect? Obviously not. Show me the stand alone BD player that is PLEASE!

All I will say is do some research and look at some professional reviews. But wait... that probably won't help you either, because all professional reviews I've ever seen give the PS3 the highest rating as a BD player and is the one they recommend over all of the stand alone's. I guess they are just as stupid as me.

Good luck

Collapse -
Paranoid?
by minimalist / January 24, 2008 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: There are...

Given my less than stellar experiences with 4 other console systems as disc players, even though they were praised as such in their time, I?d say I have every right to be suspicious of similar claims made about the PS3. If you put the PS3 in an enclosed entertainment cabinet you will very likely have heat buildup which kicks the fans up to higher speeds. Some people on discussion boards have said you can help this by keeping it out in the open but, personally, I?d rather not make a glossy black plastic wedge that looks like a Klingon ship be a centerpiece of my living room. Nor do I care about the games. I only care how it works as blu-ray player. Plus I got my standalone player for 70 dollars less than the 40GB PS3 (once you buy the 20 dollar Bluetooth remote). So far so good.

Do a google search for "PS3 fan noise dB" and see how many hits you will find. There are even YouTube videos of when the fans kick on:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HbvOGKSR1cA&feature=related

Collapse -
Like I said...
by stuntman_mike / January 24, 2008 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Paranoid?

in my previous post, I hope you enjoy your BD player. I don't earn commissions when people buy PS3's. My posts were, as always, to try and help you and anyone else make your decision. If it doesn't work for you, what can I say? To each their own and I genuinely hope that you enjoy your new BD player. You did buy a Sony right? So maybe I can get 50% commission lol.

And I don't need to read any blogs or watch any youtube vids. If I want to know if the PS3 makes noise I can turn it on and mute the sound on my Onkyo and see if it makes noise. Which, I might add, I have done, and it hardly makes any. But then again, I am a lying conniving, Sony PS3 commission ***** lol.

I'm just kidding. It is not that big a deal, so I will stop telling people to buy a PS3.

Collapse -
PS3 FTW
by doogaz99 / January 24, 2008 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: Like I said...

Definitely go with the PS3 - you're literally futureproofing your gaming and entertainment setup with it. BD Profile 2.0 compatibility is only a short ways away, and GameStop is offering a $50 credit when you trade-in a PS2 for a PS3. $349 40GB, voila!

Collapse -
Just Remember 40Gig PS3 can't play any PS2 games!
by johnc6 / January 28, 2008 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: PS3 FTW

If you have a library of PS2 games and are thinking about the 40Gig PS3, the games won't play. Only the 60Gig and 80Gig models are backwards compatible.

Collapse -
playstation 3
by ldonal / January 24, 2008 12:24 PM PST

I have the playstation 3 40g. I am not a big gamer. I usually get major titles, such as assassins creed, NBA live 08 etc. As of right now, the ps3 does not have the best titles out yet, but they are coming. Go to the website www.ng4.com, I think that is the website, and the website will tell you what games are coming out. I have enjoyed my ps3. I am a casual game player, and I enjoy the games that I play. Watching movies on the ps3 is great. The machine also upconverts regular dvds. I have not had any problems so far. Why not go with a blue ray/media/video game player all in one? If you purchase, I think that you will not be disappointed. Happy shopping!

Collapse -
A few things not mentioned so far
by ..ben / January 27, 2008 11:44 PM PST

If you have a newer receiver that has HDMI inputs (with audio support), the PS3 has internal decoding of Dolby TrueHD, affording you 7.1 lossless as well as uncompressed PCM soundtracks. The version of HDMI is irrelevant in this case because ALL versions of HDMI support 192kbps/channel PCM content. This is in addition to DTS High Resolution (downmixed from DTS HD Master Audio), Dolby Digital Plus, standard DTS, and standard Dolby Digital. The only thing, for now, that you'll be missing is complete DTS HD MA, though I think it's in the development pipeline already.

If you have an older receiver without HDMI but with analog inputs, a stand-alone player with built-in decoders may make more sense to enjoy the newer formats, particularly if you're not yet ready to part with your receiver.

Given that you are a gamer, if you get a stand-alone player, I think you may regret missing out on the ability to play those upcoming PS3-only titles that are due within the next year... PS3 seems like a no-brainer to me.

Best,
Ben

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!