TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PS3 to Receiver

by Scorpion0473 / June 4, 2008 10:52 PM PDT

Hi,
I recently got a PS3 and trying to connect my old receiver to it. Here it how it is.
PS3 to TV via HDMI
PS3 to Receiver via Optical (Receiver does not have an HDMI)
I have configured the PS3 audio settings to include DTS and DD 5.1. But what happens is that when I play normal DVD with Surround Sound, I get surround sound output from PS3 but when I play BluRay DVD I get only PCM stereo and not surround sound. On both the occasions I played Black Hawk Down movie. My TV is a Sony Bravia and Receiver model is HT-DDW840 (bought in yr 2002). Can anyone please help me?
The picture is crystal clear 1080p though.
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 to Receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 to Receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
don't own one but
by bevillan / June 4, 2008 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: PS3 to Receiver

I don't own a PS3, but are there separate audio setting menus for DVD and Blu-ray playback? I'd think that if you don't tell the PS3 to output in PCM then it shouldn't if you select a DD or DTS track for Blu-ray movies.

Collapse -
Yeah separate settings for BLurays and DVD
by gretzkyv99 / June 5, 2008 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: don't own one but

Check to see if you are in Linear Pcm or Bitstream, switching from one to other sometimes fixes it.

Collapse -
For optical audio...
by stuntman_mike / June 5, 2008 4:01 AM PDT

make sure that the audio under BD/DVD settings is on Bitstream and not PCM. Optical audio will only do 2 channel PCM, not 5.1/7.1 like HDMI.

The second thing is to make sure that when you are watching a Blu-ray that you select the appropriate audio track on the disc via the audio button on the remote, or the setup from the movies main menu. BDs sometimes default to the uncompressed PCM track. If you play the PCM 5.1/7.1 through your setup, you will get only 2 channel PCM as I said before.

Select either the Dolby 5.1 or DTS 5.1 tracks. Or you can select the Dolby HD or DTS MA HD tracks and you will still get the core Dolby D or DTS 5.1 out of it.

That should solve your problem.

Collapse -
It did solve the problem... :-))
by Scorpion0473 / June 5, 2008 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: For optical audio...

Hi,
Thanks you so much for your suggestion.After I changed the Linear to Bitstream and it is now decoding properly. Now the channel is fully in 5.1 and enjoying it.Thanks for the others also for their suggestion. My firmware is 2.20
Regards,
Scorpy

Collapse -
Firmware?
by HatecrewDr / June 5, 2008 6:51 AM PDT

Do you have the latest firmware update? There are certain things the PS3 does and doesn't support right out of the box.

Collapse -
Help with an older receiver
by gkulik / January 7, 2010 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware?

I know this thread is old, but it looks like Scorpion has a setup very similar to mine. A PS3 connected to a Sony Bravia TV. The TV is connected to an older receiver with an optical cable.

All my blu rays play in stereo. I need to double check that everything is set to bitstream. Would an older receiver have a bitstream/PCM option? Also, if a blu ray does not have a standard def audio 5.1 or DTS option (only HD audio) would I get any surround or does it always default to stereo.

Collapse -
older receiver
by bearvp / January 7, 2010 5:41 AM PST

Your Bravia might not output in DD/DTS5.1 via optical, just stereo. I forget, but can't you hook up your PS3 with HDMI to your TV and optical cable from your PS3 to your receiver? I know on my Sony SXRD HDTV the optical output on my TV will output in DD5.1, so maybe yours can too. Also, if you set your PS3 to Linear PCM with your setup, you are probably only going to get stereo PCM output via the optical cable.

If a Blu-ray does not have the option for standard DD5.1 or DTS and just has TrueHD or DTS-MA, the Blu-ray player should output the regular DD5.1/DTS signal. On the PS3, just have it run an auto-configuration for your sound capabilities of your system and let the PS3 handle what it sends to your receiver.

Collapse -
Getting closer
by gkulik / January 7, 2010 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: older receiver

Regular DVDs, my Roku box and TV through my HD antenna all come in DD5.1. I only have trouble with Blu ray. I will try connecting the optical cable from PS3 into the receiver and see what happens. However this will mean sacrificing DD5.1 through my antenna. My receiver has only one optical input.

If my receiver is set to Pro Logic II and the incoming audio was DD5.1, what would happen? Would all the sounds get routed to the proper channels?

Collapse -
hmm
by bearvp / January 7, 2010 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Getting closer

Hmm, well then your TV sounds like it should be able to trasmit the DD5.1/DTS sound to your receiver. This sounds like an issue with the PS3 audio settings. The PS3 audio settings are pretty deep so just double check all the settings. Like you said, put it on "Bitstream" and maybe re-run the auto configuration tool again to detect all the sound modes your system can handle.

As for the Pro Logic II question, it depends on the receiver. Some receivers are made to automatically detect the native 5.1 signals and switch over to them even if they currently are set on a two channel setting. If your receiver is on bitstream, it should display what sound mode it is sending to your speakers though.

Collapse -
Help with older receiver
by Dan Filice / January 7, 2010 6:13 AM PST

You state that your TV is connected to an older receiver with an optical cable. Does this mean that you have your BR player's audio cable connected to the TV first, then from the TV to your receiver? If so, this could be your problem. Connect the BR player audio directly to the reciver via Optical so the receiver can process the 5.1 correctly, and connect the BR player's HDMI to your TV for video and audio.

Collapse -
and yeah...
by bearvp / January 7, 2010 6:50 AM PST

If what I suggested doesn't work, try going straight from the PS3 to your receiver with the audio cable. Then you can at least double check to make sure your PS3 audio settings are correct.

Collapse -
Aha!!
by gkulik / January 7, 2010 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: and yeah...

I dug a bit deeper into the manual PS3 sound settings. None of the 5.1 modes were checked. I got some blu rays coming from Netflix to test out tomorrow, but I bet that was all I needed to do.

Thanks guys!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?