TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PS3 Surround Sound issues

by shaefcke / February 9, 2008 11:48 PM PST

I currently own a 40gb PS3,a Harmon Kardon AVR 146 and a Samsung 56" Slim DLP. I have my PS3 run into the amp with an HDMI cable and another HDMI into my TV. When I switch the AMP to HDMI input it is not broadcasting in surround. I checked the settings on the PS3 and everything is set to HDMI, however, still no surround. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me solve this problem? I appreciate the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 Surround Sound issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 Surround Sound issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by Dan Filice / February 10, 2008 2:00 AM PST

What happens if you take the HDMI from the PS3 and plug it into your TV? If this works, then you have something setup wrong on your amp. If it doesn't work on your TV, then you don't have something setup correctly on your PS3. Don't forget that when you are in your setup PS3's setup menu for audio, and you select "HDMI", you need to keep scrolling to the right with the arrow button to get to the screen that allows you to save the changes.

Collapse -
Must be the amp then
by shaefcke / February 10, 2008 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

When I plug directly into my TV I can watch blu ray's and play games with no problems. I guess that means I need to look into the amp a little more, I'm not sure what setting exactly to fix, but I will look into it more.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / February 10, 2008 7:18 AM PST

Run h.d.m.i. straight to the t.v. and then an optical cable from ps.3 to amp I dont like the idea of running vidio thru amp to t.v. Also sometimes amp will not pass thru a satellite or cable hi-def signal good luck steweee

Collapse -
Good Stewee, but one issue
by Dan Filice / February 10, 2008 8:19 AM PST

A TV may not pass-through true 5.1 surround back through it's optical-out. Yes, you get audio, but is the receiver simply taking a stereo signal from the TV and doing a matrix to created a "processed" surround? Even though a TV may have an "Optical-out" connection doesn't mean it's passing through 5.1. It may only be passing through stereo through the Optical.

Collapse -
Stewee said to run...
by stuntman_mike / February 11, 2008 12:53 AM PST

the optical from the PS3, not from the TV. The PS3 will send 5.1 from the optical while doing video from HDMI.

This is not the ideal set-up though. I don't know anything about your HK receiver but if it has the new HD codecs, you will not be able to take advantage of them without HDMI. Not to mention the 5.1 and 7.1 PCM tracks either.

See if tech support can help you.

Collapse -
AVR issue
by GotMaul / July 6, 2008 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Stewee said to run...

If you have the AVR 146 - It does not cycle the HDMI audio at all through the PS3. You have to go with HDMI from the PS3 to AVR AND optical from PS3 to AVR as well. If you look at the fine print in the AVR- 146 users manual it says you might want to "consider" using an alternate source for audio.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?