Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

PS3 Slim Announced

by dealrocker / August 20, 2009 7:26 PM PDT

The facts are in! Sony has confirmed that the new PS3 Slim 120GB features the following in comparison to the traditional PS3: 32% size reduction, 36% weight reduction, 34% less power consumption. It will be priced at ¤299, US $299, £249.99, ¥29,980, AUD $499, NZD $629.

I would like to know what you guys think about PS3 Slim.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 Slim Announced
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 Slim Announced
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think
by Jimmy Greystone / August 21, 2009 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: PS3 Slim Announced

I think that it's too little too late. Sony blew it with the PS3 long ago, and this isn't going to help. It's been about 3 years or so since the 360 and PS3 launched, and it's just now getting to a price competitive point with the 360?

There just aren't any exclusive games that are compelling enough anyway. Much as I loved Disgaea on the PS2, Disgaea 3 isn't enough to make me want to shell out $300. And now that they've systematically dismantled the PSX and PS2 backwards compatibility, I want it even less.

I've been waiting for years for Final Fantasy XIII to come out, and at this point it seems I'll be lucky if it doesn't get booted to the PS4. Not that it will likely matter, since about 90% of a game's budget seems to go into the graphics, leaving it virtually unplayable in the end. May as well have just been an animated movie. Or the character movements are so stiff, it's like they have a fused spine or something.

Sony and Microsoft have both completely destroyed the gaming world with their latest consoles. Their entire game libraries COMBINED are less than that of the PS2 alone by this point in it's life. Game producers are going bankrupt right and left, and we gamers get a few real gems, but mostly just a big pile of nearly unplayable garbage. Sure it looks pretty, but if the controls are sloppy, cumbersome, and the difficulty level uneven to say the least... I'd rather just have the story presented as a movie, and I resent being asked to shell out 50USD for a steaming pile.

So what I think of the PS3 Slim is that it's the same old *****, just in a smaller package. I might still pick one up some day... If Final Fantasy XIII ever shows up, but I'll keep my 360 for now, despite being on my third one after having to send two previous ones in for repairs due to a ***** optical drive. Of course I'll often find myself playing my old PSX and PS2 games more often than any 360 games.

Collapse -
PS3 looks great
by rodshifter / September 24, 2009 7:55 PM PDT
In reply to: I think

The new PS3 looks really good, some says that the previous shiny finish of PS3 is better (but prone to finger smudges). So I guess the new finish for PS3 slim is good.

Have you guys see the commercial video for the new PS3 slim from Japan? Looks weird. =)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?