General discussion

PS3 random sound and picture loss

Hello, I'm looking for some potential insight on an on-going problem I've tried various solutions for but only end up with 1 that works and it just defeats the purpose of hdmi ready equipment. After-all, one of the main selling points for hdmi was the fact it was a 1 (one) cable solution for AUDIO & VIDEO. Keep in mind all 3 products are new. I have my Sony PS3 with the latest online firmware updates and Sony 40" KDL-40EX400 Flat screen connected to my Yamaha RX-V661 Home Theater receiver. All of which are in their respective hdmi with 1080p high-speed cables. using this set up, everything sounds and looks incredible, you know like they show us in the stores and in commercials. but, with this hdmi set-up, sometimes it will be 5 minutes, sometimes i can watch an entire movie of 2 hours, but the picture and sound both will blank in and out at various intervals. which leaves me to the only solution of running video via hdmi from my PS3 to my TV and then running audio from my PS3 via fiber optic cable to my receiver. With this last solution everythings works great, theres gotta be something "jamming" up the a/v signal transfer somewhere somehow though, which agains defeats the purpose of using the hdmi cable for its true intended purpose. im not a fan of a bunch of wires lingering anywhere in the household, no matter how neatly they may be tucked away. Think of it like this, it would be like buying a convertible car which of whose roof doesn't fold or tuck away automatic or manually. I've walked thru my set-up with Sony and Yamaha and they just pass the buck between each-other. Could the length of my hdmi cables be too long @ 9'? Is there anyone out there with a possible simple if not low cost solution to my problem as opposed to dropping all of it out of a second story window?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: PS3 random sound and picture loss
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PS3 random sound and picture loss
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
So...

Your getting a HDCP problem. You do not get the sound drop & video drop when running the HDMI direct to the tv right? So not the tv, PS3 & not that HDMI cable.
& did you tested both the HDMI cables, the one from the the PS3 to the receiver & the one from the receiver to the tv?

If you did test both cables & it works that way, it is your receiver, it may need an update or there is something wrong with the unit.

No 9ft is a short HDMI cable, you need 100ft too start getting problems

- Collapse -
re: so...

thank you very much, is there anyone i can find to check my receiver, like "Geek Squad" (Best Buy) for this hdcp issue, or am i just gonna have to trash my receiver and buy a new one again?

- Collapse -
I'm thinking.

Try an Onkyo next time. The problems of HDCP when passing through ANYTHING are now legendary but Onkyo seems to know if the PS3 will or will not pass.
Bob

- Collapse -
Experiencing the same problem

I recently added a home theater system and Uverse from att. about a week apart.(samsung tv and home theater) I noticed the same issue you described in your post while playing the ps3: lose audio briefly then lose picture and audio. Then I installed Uverse with HDTV and the same problem occurred. Updated all cables nothing helped. Samsung support is terrible by the way. Two solutions were offered from two different sources. A) Tv is going to crap out need new panel or new tv. B)I'm getting inconsistent power into the equipment/ the wiring of the residence is getting overloaded by all the equipment. A constant steady stream of voltage needs to be supplied to properly run all equipment. As i write this I am weighing and researching each which is how I got to our post if you have found a solution please post thanks

CNET Forums

Forum Info