Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

ps3 question

by cnd36 / July 30, 2007 11:56 PM PDT

what is better hooking the ps3 to a router or directly into the modem?

An should I worry about having a fire wall?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ps3 question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ps3 question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Short answer
by Kingp1n / July 31, 2007 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: ps3 question

Router, yes.

Firewall, just use the router defaults

Collapse -
either
by bevillan / July 31, 2007 1:40 AM PDT

You can do either but I'd go with the router since you probably want other components to have internet access. Just keep your firmware updated on the router and you will be fine.

Collapse -
thnx another question
by cnd36 / July 31, 2007 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: either

so what type of router is a good one?

I never used a router with my ps2 I did direct connection.

Collapse -
Read
by Kingp1n / July 31, 2007 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: thnx another question

the reviews on this site. For the most part, a router is a router.

Collapse -
Router
by not2worried / July 31, 2007 11:54 PM PDT

I have been happy with my Linksys router

Collapse -
Linksys
by bevillan / August 1, 2007 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Router

My friend is a bit professional IT guy and he swears by Linksys routers. Just get the wireless one with the Wireless-G and Speedbooster capability. If you don't like Linksys, I hear Netgear routers are nice.

Collapse -
Speedbooster....
by Kingp1n / August 1, 2007 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Linksys

doesn't do anything extra for you unless you have the matching speedbooster wireless card for your laptop or desktop.

Collapse -
To any one out there who is up to answearing this..
by cnd36 / August 1, 2007 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Speedbooster....

Someone tell me what router they think would be good for the ps3 ?

because my eyes are really starting to hurt from all the reading I am doing over this.

some ppl tell me the Linksys WRT54G is a great model, while others are telling me to go with Wireless-G Game Adapter WGA54G (works well with wii,xobx,ps2/ps3)

Now I like to hear from you guys, before I make my decision on which to buy.

Collapse -
OK....
by Kingp1n / August 2, 2007 1:01 AM PDT

Buy the Linksys WRT54G router.

You can then setup your PS3 to plug directly into the router using a ethernet cable. Or if you have the 60gb version of the PS3, it has built in wireless so you can configure it that way. If you have the 30gb (or is it 20gb) version, you need to buy the Wireless-G game adapter along with the WRT54G to be able to use it wirelessly.

Either way you connect the PS3, go out and buy the Linksys WRT54G.

Collapse -
Actually
by jackson dougless / August 2, 2007 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Speedbooster....

The SpeedBooster models often tend to come with a slightly faster onboard CPU and more RAM. This can be fairly useful, even if you're not using the speedbooster function.

And the WRT54G(S) models are great... Once you put one of the custom Linux based firmwares on them. The Cisco/Linksys made one is horrible. I'm kind of partial to the Tomato firmware for those routers myself. It's small, lightweight, the interface could be laid out a little better, but it's not loaded down with pointless features, and it really does an excellent job of leveraging the Linux foundation, so you almost never have to reboot the thing to get settings to take.

Collapse -
Playing Avi. Files on PS3
by RawzofGblock / August 23, 2007 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually

Does anybody know if it is possible to view Avi Files on PS3?
I recently transfered an MPEG file from my PC using a USB Flash Drive and it worked fine but most of the movies I have are in Avi Format and theese dont seem to work.
Is there a Program I can download that will allow me to view theese files on my PS3, if so where can i download it from?

Collapse -
Indirectly
by Jackson Douglas / August 23, 2007 12:55 PM PDT

This should have been it's own topic, but...

AVI isn't a format in and of itself, it's a container format. Any given AVI file can have just about any combination of audio and video codecs used for its contents. So, it's not quite as simple a prospect as it seems at first. Sony would either have to try and license what it figures are the most popular codecs, and not support the rest, or it could adapt some of the open source decoder packages out there like ffmpeg. Trouble there is that they're licensed under the GPL, which would require Sony to release at least part of the PS3 firmware under the GPL as well. To Sony's way of thinking, this would give a huge leg up to people looking for a workable exploit in the PS3 firmware so that they can run custom software.

What most people do, is use some kind of media server program on their computer, which streams the decoded video and audio to the PS3. To me, this just seems like a complete waste of time and effort. Much easier to get an original Xbox, chip it, and use Xbox Media Center. It can actually decode almost any video file you throw at it. It's only drawback is the hardware keeps it from being able to handle high def content. You can get some 720p stuff to work, but all 1080 content is out of the question.

Collapse -
Sorry and Thanks
by RawzofGblock / August 23, 2007 7:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Indirectly

Sorry, I didnt know how to start a new topic.
Thanks for the info very informative! : )
Shame its not possible tho : (

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?