Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

PS3 purchase Possible, few questions.

So I have been looking at the PS3 for a few days, and it looks like a good system. However, this is my first game console that I would own(I'm 18), I have played on family and friends n64, xbox, and ps2, so I have somewhat of an idea how these things work. I do have a few questions though...

1. Controllers, I see two USB ports(or similar) on the front of the unit. Are you limited to only two controllers? Can you get a USB hub of some kind to add more? How many controllers came with the unit?

2. Connectors, It appears on the back of the unit there are a few connection points, the TV I will be using does not have the HDMI inputs, so I would have to use standard A/V cables (L/R/V or white/red/yellow). Does the console come with the necessary cable/adapter to use this setup? If not, how much, say at Walmart, to purchase this?

3. I have heard some things about these new consoles that are internet enabled. If I did not want to play multiplayer, is there any reason to use the internet capabilities? Will I get locked out of a game for a possible "licensing" conflict?

4. What is the purpose of the hard drive? Save game data? Or are there the memory cards still?

5. Are the units nowadays still as simple as insert a disk and play the game? It just seems like besides the game, you have to keep buying more "stuff" (Like the iPhone/iPod touch). Is this true, and will it effect game-play?

6. Over all, what would be some things I should know about the PS3?

Sorry for all the questions! I really am new to all this....

--Daniel L

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 purchase Possible, few questions.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 purchase Possible, few questions.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some answers

In reply to: PS3 purchase Possible, few questions.

I can't really answer #1 or #2 since I don't have a PS3 of my own. Though I can say aside from being a huge detriment to society in general, Walmart is one of the last places you would want to go to get AV cables. Check out the website Monoprice. The only hitch with them, is they have flat rate shipping which starts at about $6, so you want to order enough to make it worth the shipping.

Moving along... Aside from updates for the console's firmware, if you're not interested in online gaming, there's little point in connecting them to the Internet. If a game needs a specific version of the console software, it will come with an updater on the disc. Of course with the 360 you can download game demos and other stuff on Xbox Live, and Sony has something similar for the PS3 and PSP. But you shouldn't be required to connect to the Internet to play a non-MMORPG type game.

#4: Saved games are part of the purpose of the hard drive, though I do believe you can still use memory cards on the PS3. Unlike the 360, you can use cheap and easy to find SD memory cards however IIRC. But the hard drive is also used for downloaded content like game demos, additional online map packs, you can store music and movies on it to watch later... Things like that.

#5: It kind of depends on the experience you want. There's always going to be loads of accessories sold, but really all you should need is the console, a controller, and a game disc. It's been that way since the beginning with game consoles really, but some people who are really into racing games might want to buy a special controller made up like a steering wheel for example.

#6: Seems to me you already know more than most people do going in buying a game console. AFAIK the PS3 hasn't had any major manufacturing defects like the 360 with it's infamous red ring of death issues. I would just recommend AVOIDING using the PS3 as a blu-ray movie player. The bluray drive in the PS3 is unique in that it can also play PS3 games, something stand alone bluray players cannot do. Stand alone players will also eventually come down in price, but there will likely be a floor on the price of the PS3. So, save your PS3's drive for playing games would be my suggestion.

Collapse -
THANKS!

In reply to: Some answers

Thanks for the excellent reply!

(I still am looking for the answers to the first questions though...)

--Daniel L

Collapse -
Answer to first 2 questions

In reply to: PS3 purchase Possible, few questions.

You can connect more than 2 controllers, the USB's aren't exactly controller ports, but that is where you charge the controller. I've had 4 controllers connected at once so far, not sure if you can do more. The AV cables do come with the system, and if you ever want to see what all comes in the box, just flip it over and on the back there should be a little "included in" area that tells what all is inside. Hopefully that answered any remaining questions.

Collapse -
Just a follow up, about the controllers.

In reply to: Answer to first 2 questions

You can connect up to 7, via blue tooth. Also, I charge my controller by way of a USB cable, from one of those Energizer inventions that you plug up your controller onto, but has extra spots for other USB items. But don't be alarmed if you try to turn on the system when it's plugged in this way, and it doesn't work. You need to have the PS3 on, and the controller on, with it connected through blue tooth to your PS3 before it'll work, while the system is on. Then it'll charge, and you can play games, without using your USB slots that could be used for keyboards, external harddrives, etc.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.