Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

PS3/PSP

by bongees / September 23, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

I just purchased a PS3 and I don't know how to go online without connecting it using an ethernet connection. I thought this machine was supposed to be able to go online wireless. I only bought it because cnet recommends this as the best blu-ray player available. Just want to watch movies and take advantage of BD Live available from some Blu-ray movies. I do have a router (D-link DI-624) and it works fine with the computers and Wii in the house, but not the PS3 or PSP. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3/PSP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3/PSP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends on the model
by Jimmy Greystone / September 23, 2008 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: PS3/PSP

Depends on the model you bought, as I don't believe all of them have wireless built in. I know the early, and now discontinued, 20GB models didn't have it... The newer 40GB model may well lack wireless like it lacks any sort of back compatibility with previous PlayStation console games.

But have you tried a Google search for things like "Playstation 3 enable wireless"? Is your router using any kind of encryption on the wireless signal, and did you configure the PS3 to use this same encryption?

I also must confess I don't know what BD Live is, but if it's any kind of streaming media, your router isn't going to likely be up to the task of streaming that. 802.11g simply lacks the necessary bandwidth. I also hope for your sake that Dlink has solved the manufacturing problems they had with earlier models of that router. Otherwise, do much more than simple web browsing with it, and you will likely cause the thing to overheat and reboot.

Collapse -
Wireless
by Delfairen / September 25, 2008 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends on the model

All the PS3's with the exception of the 20Gb have wireless but the PSP connects to the router wireless as does the PS3 unless you have a wired connection from the PS3 to the router.

BD Live sucks I was hoping for something way more than anything I have seen on the discs so far. Maybe at some point it may be nice but at the moment its a total waste of time. 802.11g is fine for streaming to the PSP as the screen rez is so much lower than the blu-ray discs it pulls the info from.

There is plenty of info on the playstation network and the playstation site I would start there.

Collapse -
Here is your help
by moonflow303 / September 26, 2008 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: PS3/PSP

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!