Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

PS3 Play Call of Duty in 1080i? I don't get it!

by indymike / March 4, 2007 2:16 AM PST

OK..I use to consider myself as a guy who had a nice set of hair. But lately I have pulled so much out of my head, a transplant might be in order!

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a blu ray question that I have since rectified. I watched Flyboys (the movie) using the PS3 player and the audio and video (played in 1080i format) was outstanding.

I am miffed at this one. I bought Call of Duty 3 for the PS3. The back of the game says that it supports 3 video formats: 480p, 720p and 1080i. (My TV only plays 480p and 1080i - no 720p) When I push the info button on my remote to see which video format is playing on Call of Duty, the TV tells me that it is in 480p. I cannot figure out how to get the game to play in 1080i!

I have checked all of the programming on the PS3 and it appears that I have it correct. Keep in mind that the movie I watched above played in 1080i format above perfectly. I have not changed the settings any differently from the movie to the game.

I am not using the HDMI output - But I am using the A/V Link out into the RED BLUE GREEN of my TV. The movie was in 1080i - The game is not.

Are my PS3 settings for the movie to be the same for the game? This might be where I am making my mistake(?)Maybe you can only get the game(s)to play in HD by using the HDMI out which is not an option for me. HELP! THANKS!

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 Play Call of Duty in 1080i? I don't get it!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 Play Call of Duty in 1080i? I don't get it!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Response to my own post above.....
by indymike / March 4, 2007 2:32 AM PST

I just found this question/post on the activision.com web site under Call of Duty 3. Can anyone verify this?

1080i resolution not working

Question
My TV only supports a 1080i HD resolution and the game keeps going back to 480p. Shouldn't the game run in 1080i?

Answer
Please be advised that a limited number of Call of Duty 3 game packages contain a misprint regarding support for 1080i resolution ? it should state that Call of Duty 3 supports 720p. Future game packaging has been updated to reflect support for 720p resolution.

Collapse -
the ps3 downconverts
by bloodyR / March 4, 2007 8:01 AM PST

Most of the PS3 games are 720p, and Sony decided, in their infinite wisdom, to downconvert the games to 480p on TVs that only support 1080i. Hopefully this will be fixed with a future firmware update, but as it stands it is just another of Sony's many blunders...

Collapse -
They didn't "decide" that
by bkchurch / March 4, 2007 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: the ps3 downconverts

They just chose not to include a scaler chip so they wouldn't lose more money than they already are on the hardware. I'll be the first to admit that Sony has made a lot of boneheaded mistakes on both the hardware and PR side of things but they aren't so stupid that they'd decide to downconvert 720p instead of upconvert it, it's just a hardware issue that will more than likely be fixed in a software update before the end of the year. As for CoD 3, the back of the box is a misprint there's no 1080i support.

Collapse -
They "decided" to cut corners
by bloodyR / March 4, 2007 8:15 AM PST

Not including a scalar chip (or software support) for upconversion is a pretty big deal. And yes, I'd say they're pretty stupid for making that decision. Not everybody has the latest and greatest HDTV, and Sony is alienating a large group of consumers. Hopefully they'll remedy the situation soon.

Collapse -
by bevillan / March 4, 2007 10:52 PM PST

Even the 360 has a scalar chip. I guess the PS3 is not "future proof" afterall.

Collapse -
Nor is the 360 losing $200 on every console sold
by bkchurch / March 5, 2007 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: 360

I think if I were Sony i'd probably want to save the money by skipping the scaler chip as well, I know they're alienating a big market but good lord people do you honestly think they won't fix it with a software update?

Collapse -
updates
by bevillan / March 5, 2007 1:42 AM PST

Well sure they could update the firmware in their vidcard to support 1080i, but its just a sloppy way to go about upconversion instead of having a dedicated scalar chip handling the load.

Collapse -
How the hell is that sloppy?
by bkchurch / March 5, 2007 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: updates

If the end is the same who cares what the means are? So what if it's upconverted through software instead of hardware, it looks exactly the same!

Collapse -
not always
by bevillan / March 5, 2007 2:29 AM PST

Upconversion of a signal can introduce unwanted artifacts to a picture during the interpolating calculation that the scaling chip or software performs. The image is at the mercy of the quality of the chip or software that does the calculations.

The case of any piece of electronics with a scaling chip will perform a uniform way is just not true.

Collapse -
O and ya know what the 360 doesn't have?
by bkchurch / March 5, 2007 2:29 AM PST

Free online play, built in Wi-Fi, and a high def movie player (and no paying $200 for an annoying add-on with no HDMI output for a soon to be obsolete technology doesn't count). Don't confuse me for a fanboy, in time I will own a PSwii60.

Collapse -
by bevillan / March 5, 2007 2:37 AM PST

I would much rather have a quality online service like XBL and pay $50 for a year than a free first generation one from Sony that doesn't even support a universal friends list.

The hi-def movie player is no biggie for me or alot of people because many of us do not want to invest in either Blu-ray or HD-DVD yet. I will wait till the standalone players (which are superior to players in consoles) get down to about $300 and a clear format winner is crowned. I agree that the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 is a waste of $200. No HDMI and basically no features on it makes it a no-buy.

The integrated Wi-Fi card is nice but I have mine wired to my router which is better than wireless anyway. I don't disagree that the PS3 wins on features, but the game selection, forcing the consumer into investing in BR, price tag, and more of a slant towards Japanese gamers makes it something I will not buy.

Oh and it doesn't have Halo.

Collapse -
or...
by hyghwayman / March 20, 2007 4:22 AM PDT

Halo2, the soon to be Halo3, Gears of War, TCR6 Vegas!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?