TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PS3 or my HDTV? I'm having issues

For the past week I've been having one very inconvenient problem ever since I updated to firmware 2.40 & than 2.41. When I play a game on my 40GB PS3 it plays fine. When I quit the game the screen goes black. However, if I unplug my HDMI cable and plug it back into the TV the PS3 XMB mainscreen is there and everything is fine. DVDS & Blu-Ray movies are similar except that when I play them the screen goes black but when I unplug & replug the HDMI cable the main screen shows up and the movies play fine. I have the same problem with quitting DVDs and Blu-Ray movies because the screen goes black when I quit playback. Keep in mind that I have no problem playing or viewing movies once I unplug and replug the cable. This problem is similar to the one I had when I first got my HDMI cable.

I initially wanted to set up the display on my PS3 to output @ 720P. However whenever I went to play a movie the picture would go in and out so I set the display output to 1080i and I hadn't had a problem with it (got it first week of June this year) until last week. I took my PS3 to BestBuy yesterday to test it on their HDTVs and it played fine. Everything loaded quickly and returned to the PS3 XMB mainscreen when it was done. So I'm pretty confident that the problem isn't my PS3 but something with the connection between my PS3 and HDTV. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated because I'm very confused.

Specifics:

40GB PS3
Connected directly to tv thru HDMI cable
TV:SpectronIQ Protron PLTV-3250

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 or my HDTV? I'm having issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 or my HDTV? I'm having issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI Connection

In reply to: PS3 or my HDTV? I'm having issues

HDMI connections aren't all perfect. I've had HDMI cables that don't fit tightly into the plug and create problems. It could be a loose HDMI connection in your TV. Question: Why are you unplugging the HDMI cable from your TV? If you unplug the cable in the middle of something, I think it may lose the "hand-shaking" it does with the TV and playback device. I've had this happen, and I needed to connect the HDMI on a DVD player, then power-down the DVD player and power back up to make a connection.

Collapse -
My only solution so far

In reply to: HDMI Connection

I'm unplugging the HDMI from my tv because whenever I play a dvd or blu ray movie or quit playback from a game or movie the screen goes black. When I unplug & replug in the cable the XMB or main screen of the movie displays fine. If I just leave it alone and dont touch anything the screen will just stay black or periodically flash whats on the screen and than go back to just a black screen. So basically I'm unplugging the cable because that's the only way I've been able to display the XMB after quitting playback or view movies in the past week. It had been working fine up until than. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Collapse -
HAVE YOU READ TO CONTROVERSY SURROUNDING..............

In reply to: PS3 or my HDTV? I'm having issues

THAT TV BRAND/MODEL???

THERE IS A LONG THREAD ON THE SPECTRON-IQ/PROTRON LINE OF HDTVs; here on

this C-NET Forum!!!

Best wishes,

Riverledge.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.