TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PS3 on a 720p TV??? HELP!

I currently have a Panasonic TH-50PX77U and was thinking about getting a PS3 for it (I currently have a Denon 2910). Will the difference be significant or will I barely notice it? Will my TV even be able to process a Blu-ray disc?

THANKS!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 on a 720p TV??? HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 on a 720p TV??? HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What difference?

In reply to: PS3 on a 720p TV??? HELP!

What difference are you wondering about? You will see a significant difference between Blu-Ray discs vs. regular DVD's. The PS3 is also a good upscaler for DVD's, so the visual quality for those should increase as well (unless you already have a good upscaling DVD player).

Collapse -
Yah

In reply to: What difference?

I already have an upscaling DVD player (Denon 2910). I was wondering if the sound/picture quality would be significantly different.

Collapse -
yes...

In reply to: Yah

Collapse -
Just about the same question

In reply to: What difference?

My question is basically the same, but I didn't really see a clear cut answer.
I have a Panasonic TH-42PX600U which is 720p and I was thinking about buying a blu ray unit, but I read somewhere that if my tv isn't 1080p I shouldn't even bother. Should I be worried about the difference?

Collapse -
My useless logic

In reply to: Just about the same question

I would think that a TV would display a better image if the DVD player in question was able to first accept a full 1080p signal, then send it to your TV to downscale to 720p rather than trying to take a 480i DVD and "create" information that never existed to become 720p. Yes, upconverting DVD players seem to make a 480i DVD look better, but I would bet it in no way compares to a 1080p signal converted to 720p. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Collapse -
panasonic plasma

In reply to: Just about the same question

I have the panasonic 42 inch px50u, the earlier version of your plasma. That should tell you that mine is older. I have a ps3 40g and an hd dvr connected to the tv. I am a casual gamer, and I like to watch movies and tv. I say that to say this, the ps3 is a good blu ray player, that plays quality video games, upconverts dvd's, and is a media player. You cannot go wrong with the purchase of a ps3 as a blu ray player, even if you do not play many video games. Do you plan on upgrading to a larger plasma? If so, then the ps3 will be a great buy, especially the 40g. But if you want all the bells and whistles: SACD, backwards compatability, etc,. then go for the 80g.

Collapse -
Simple answer is: Yes

In reply to: PS3 on a 720p TV??? HELP!

Complex answer is: Yes, still.

You will certainly notice a big difference in overall picture quality when comparing even an upconverted DVD to a Bluray movie. I just purchased a PS3 and am VERY impressed in the picture quality of HD movies, and am stunned in how good SOME movies are upconverted.

At 50", 1080p is somewhat clearer than 720p, but it isn't as much of a difference as some would want you to think. I owned a 50" 720p and own a 50" 1080p and do notice slight differences at 6-7 feet. Any more than that and HD is HD.

Hope that was clear,

- Simon

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.