General discussion

PS3 not working...

I bought PS3 last year. It worked fine untill one day suddenly it just went out. it is giving message which says that there's some problem and i should contact the technical team of PS3.
Let me know if any one has faced or is aware of this scenario.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: PS3 not working...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PS3 not working...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Wow

Wow... What a wonderful post with all it's copious notes and extensive details about the exact nature of the problem.

Sarcasm aside, it's impossible for anyone to know whether or not they've been in that situation because you don't give any details ABOUT the situation. Unless you're just asking about whether or not people have had their PS3's crap out on them, in which case, yes plenty of people have. Probably not as many as 360 owners, but the number is higher than 1. I think estimates are PS3 failure rates are around 10-15%... Might be less with the Slim models, might be more. Haven't seen any actual data.

But I believe Sony has a no questions asked repair service for about $150. Basically what happens is they send you a new system that is as close in spec to your old one as they have on hand.

- Collapse -
Sony has a no questions asked repair service for about $150.

"Sony has a no questions asked repair service for about $150. Basically what happens is they send you a system that is as close in spec to your old one as they have on hand."

I DID THIS. The system was a refurb and it was exactly 150 bucks and PAINLESS!

I did the web order for the exchange on Friday. Monday a shipping box with instructions on what to do next arrived.

--->>> I can't stress this enough. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!

I must write that some don't and then wonder what happened.

Ok, Monday the Sony box arrives and I FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. To speed things along I run down to The UPS Store and the pre-paid label makes it so easy.

The NEXT MONDAY a Sony box arrives and we're back in the game.

--->>> The replacement unit is shiny new looking because they replaced all the plastic and more. I did check and it is another serial number so my bet is they refurb and build up a supply of ready to go machines which explains why it took only a week.

It's a great deal.
Bob

- Collapse -
you probably have this...

commonly known as the "red screen of death"... I was told in my case it was a bad hard drive. You may need to send it back to Sony... If you are within warranty period they should replace it for free. If out of warranty the cost is $150 (I believe). Good Luck!!

Google "red screen of death"... Unfortunately it is rather common problem (10% - 15% of systems) and the customer service lady I initially spoke with knew exactly what I was talking about... when I told her I had the "red screen of death" (she laughed saying yep you need to send it in for service)

- Collapse -
If it's a bad hard drive

If it's a bad hard drive, just replace it. It's cheaper than the $150 you'd spend getting Sony to do it. The PS3 is real nice that way. Just takes your bog standard 2.5" SATA drive. Think people have had success with drives up to 500GB. The console firmware should take care of formatting the drive for you.

For $150, you can probably get a 500GB drive or bigger, get the system back up and going in an hour or two as opposed to a few days, and be back to your gaming.

CNET Forums