HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PS3 hookup caused my Onkyo HT-R510 receiver to lose VIDEO

by skrat219 / November 8, 2009 2:29 AM PST

Hello,

I would appreciate any help. I have a Onkyo HT-R510 receiver. I have it connected to an InFocus projector via a proprietary component cord. The projector does not have traditional component ins. The receiver has 1 comp out and 2 comp ins. Two opticals. NO HDMI.

I have had a WOWWAY HD cable box set up for years now with no problem. I get HD TV from WOWWAY and it is pretty good. I have had an XBOX 360 connected (via component as well) for almost two years with no problem.

Today I hooked up a PS3. There was no sound or video. Nothing.I reset the PS3 properly to broadcast in component mode and even took it back to GameStop to verify that it was in component mode. It does not work. Not only does it not work my WOWWAY video now no longer works. I can hear the sound (the WOWWAY box is connected via an optical to the receiver), but I have NO VIDEO.

I have done the factory reset on the Onkyo HT-R510 to no avail. I am at a loss. Right now all I care about is getting my WOWWAY cable to work again.

I have 7 days to return this mess if I cannot get it to work. I traded in my XBOX for this. I can still get it back.

I understand that the best setup for the PS3 is an HDMI. That is not an option for me right now. Again all I really need immediate help with is getting my Onkyo HT-R510 receiver and WOWWAY cable television working again properly.

Thanks for any help.

Pat

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 hookup caused my Onkyo HT-R510 receiver to lose VIDEO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 hookup caused my Onkyo HT-R510 receiver to lose VIDEO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please give the current connections
by Pepe7 / November 10, 2009 1:11 AM PST

If you could, please summarize how everything is currently hooked up, and with what particular cables. What make/model cable box also?

My gut feeling is it has something to do with the assigning of inputs on the receiver, or possibly the output setting on the WOW box. Again, it would help to know the make/model box you have.

Collapse -
WOW Connectons/Onkyo/PS3
by skrat219 / November 10, 2009 1:49 AM PST

Thanks for helping. Update: my picture (for the cable tv) has come on, but I still cannot get the PS3 to show via the component connection on the Onkyo receiver. Oddly I can connect the PS3 to a different projector with an s-video and still be able to run the sound through my Onkyo with my second optical connection. Weird.

So here are my WOW connections. It is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250 HD box. It has an HDTV out (which on this box is the red, blue, green of component). That goes from the WOW box to the one of the component INS of my receiver (they aren't numbered). Then, of course, the component out goes from the Onkyo receiver to the InFocus projector. The sound is connected via an optical from my WOW box to my receiver.

Here is another odd occurrence. Before I tried to set up my PS3 I had the cable tv running as Video 1 and the Xbox as DVD.

After all the issues and the resets I completely unplugged the PS3 (I've long gotten rid of the Xbox) and hooked it up to another projector (stand alone via s-video).

NOW the Onkyo receiver has nothing programmed under Video 1 and the cable tv is under DVD. I can only assume that has to do with the fact that I reset the Onkyo and when it came back on I must been in DVD mode when the Onkyo picked up that signal. If I hold down the Video 1 button to change the signal I get a choice of COMP 1 or COMP 2, but the only one that works is the tv feed.

Regardless, I am now trying to get my PS3 to work with the Onkyo system. I am somewhat familiar with the menu in the PS3 and I've tried some alternative settings, but to no avail. I'm lost on what else I can do on the PS3, the Onkyo receiver or the WOW box.

Thanks again for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

PM

Collapse -
wrapping my brain around this one ;)
by Pepe7 / November 10, 2009 2:18 PM PST

I feel stumped on this one.

Short of punting the ball completely, have you tried disconnecting *everything*, then doing another factory reset on the Onkyo(?) Maybe try that, making certain that after it has reset (but before you power it on again) you only connect the PS3 to the 'Component/DVD in' section. After this (if it works), see if the cable box takes flight.

If that doesn't do it, I'd suggest bypassing the Onkyo (it is an old receiver at this point) and try a basic A/B video switch/device you could get at Radio Shack (now aka 'the Shack'). Granted, it would be a hassle to have to always deploy either the A or B side, but that might avoid the Onkyo causing the problem if the input assignment is the issue here. YMMV. Give it a shot and let us know if that works.

-P

Collapse -
PS3/Onkyo
by skrat219 / November 11, 2009 12:19 AM PST

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will try. I have it set up right now to a different projector via S-video, but I have the sound running through the Onkyo's optical. So at least I get surround sound. It is a ridiculous set up, but gets a decent picture.

I'm curious about the switcher. I don't mind using one, but not sure how it would get a better picture than S-Video.

My projectors both only have VGA, S-Video and proprietary component (i.e. one end is red, green, blue and the other fits into the projector only). Is there a switcher that goes allows for VGA/HDMI ins and connection to the projector via component? Am I stating that correctly?

I will keep plugging away and hope to be able to update to you success. I just did a PS3 update so maybe that will help.

PM

Collapse -
Almost anything is better than S-Video
by Pepe7 / November 11, 2009 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: PS3/Onkyo

I had a dual component (RGB) switcher in mind. If Radio Shack doesn't have it, someone online should. I use froogle to get a sense of what I'm looking for from the various vendors. Anyway, component will provide a much nicer picture since S-Video cannot supply a HD resolution.

Collapse -
S-Video etc.
by skrat219 / November 11, 2009 7:34 AM PST

I couldn't agree with you more. I will try it all out and let you know what I end up doing. Due to work and stuff I can't really work on this except for the weekends. Slow moving.

Thanks again for all the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.