Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

PS3 help needed!! 60 GB or 80 GB???

by bobalong2 / December 15, 2008 11:13 AM PST

I'm deciding on which system to keep. I purchased the new 80GB at Sam's for $400, then found out it was not back compatible. Found a new 60GB (CECHA01) at a store in Tennessee and had a friend buy it for $500. I live in Florida, and now sit with both systems and don't know which one to keep. I like the idea of being able to play the old games on it, but don't know if my kids or I would as we will probably only want to play the newer hi-def stuff. I believe the old system has flash, sd, etc memory card slots and the new one doesn't. Also not sure if the older system has a dual shock control and/or wi/fi. I'm anxious to open up one of the boxes and start playing so would appreciate any advise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 help needed!! 60 GB or 80 GB???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 help needed!! 60 GB or 80 GB???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think you're confused
by Jimmy Greystone / December 15, 2008 11:44 AM PST

I think you're confused. The 80GB model should be backwards compatible, it's just done via software emulation instead of having the old PSX and PS2 CPUs inside the system. So far as I know, only the 40GB model offers absolutely no backwards compatibility.

Personally, I'd keep the 60GB model. Last I really looked into it, the software emulation on the other models isn't quite up to snuff. The 60GB model should ensure near 100% compatibility with PSX and PS2 games, while the 80GB might only be 80-85% give or take a little. So even if you think there's a possibility of you wanting to play older games, I'd keep the 60GB model. There's also the matter of it being a lot easier to return the 80GB model, and not making your friend feel like they went to all that effort for nothing.

Collapse -
confused, yes!
by bobalong2 / December 15, 2008 12:19 PM PST

Sony support & store rep told me "no go" on playing early ps games. Is the software emulation something done to the machine? The TN purchase was from a Kmart, so I could probably take it back if I wanted to. Think I might keep the old model as long as blueray player is the same. Probably don't need the extra 20GB and there still seems to be a good demand for them on eBay. Thanks for the help!!

Collapse -
I could be wrong
by Jimmy Greystone / December 15, 2008 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: confused, yes!

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the 80GB model has backwards compatibility in software. I haven't really been keeping up with the PS3, so I could be wrong.

But anyway, my understanding is that the emulator is included in the device firmware, so it should automatically be run if you put in a PSX or PS2 game disc to play. The older 60GB model had the PS2's EmotionEngine CPU, which Sony removed citing cost cutting. I personally think that was a load of crap, since they'll still be making PS2 systems for another 2-3 years, and each one of those needs one of those chips.

Anyway, I would advise against using the system as a movie player. The drive in the PS3 is unique in that it will also read PSX/PS2/PS3 game discs. Get a standalone player for watching movies. Optical drives only last for so long, and it will be a lot easier and cheaper (in time) to replace a stand alone bluray player compared to a PS3 if the drive gives out. Not to mention with a standalone player, if the console dies you can still watch movies, or play games if the standalone player dies.

Collapse -
Only the 2007 80gb has BC
by kevsmail / December 18, 2008 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: I could be wrong

I agree w/Jimmy in that cutting the backwards compatibility was a bad move by Sony. I know it's really delayed me buying one, since I feel like I'm getting ripped off now if I buy a new one without it.

Check out this Wikipedia article for the different versions and compatibility cross-reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

Looks like only the older 60GB had hardware BC, but man these are going for a premium on eBay. And they're USED. I'm so leery of buying a used box for $500 then having it blow up out of warranty. Like Jimmmy said, those optical drives have a finite lifespan...

Collapse -
New 60GB
by bobalong2 / December 18, 2008 11:22 AM PST

The 60GB is brand new, in the box also. Sony said it comes with the original 1 year warranty plus I purchased another 2 years thru Kmart (hope they don't go out of business!)

Collapse -
My nephew got the 80GB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2008 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: confused, yes!

At least that's what I remember. That model was purported to have the right stuff to give you the best chance of running old PS2 games.
Bob

Collapse -
New 80Gb is NOT compatible with PS2!
by DrNicket / December 22, 2008 5:40 AM PST

The new 80Gb is the old 40Gb with a bigger HDD. The new 160Gb is the old 40Gb with a bigger HDD.

Only the 60Gb and the OLD 80Gb are PS2 compatible (I'm not certain about the original 20Gb, but let's not worry about that model).
The 60Gb model has hardware emulation (Emotion Engine) and will give you near 100% compatibility. The old 80Gb has software emulation and will give you approximmately 70-85% compatibility (opinions vary) with PS2 games. To my knowledge 85-95% PS1 compatibility on all PS3 systems (not sure of further details on the PS1 titles).

I highly recommend you stick with your 60Gb as it is the better of all PS3s and you can always upgrade the HDD inexpensively as it is just a standard Laptop drive. Be warned you need to export any existing files from your original PS3 drive to the new drive and not every file can be kept. Anything you buy from the Playstation Store can be redownloaded for free as long as you log in with the same account. Details on how to do this is available on the sony website and better in their forums.

Be Well,

DrNicket

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.