Sony forum

General discussion

PS3 DIGITAL OPTICAL

by tas81685 / April 2, 2009 4:55 AM PDT

I have just recently changed some connections on my system and could use some help. I have my PS3 and DVD on HDMI switch to the TV, that works. I have my DVD and PS3 on digital optical splitter, that does not work. Here is what I have tried. I have plugged the PS3 directly into the surround, it works. I have plugged the ps3 into the splitter alone and seen LED light out the other end to the surround, that doesn't work. I have switched cables, switched which side the cable is connected on the switch, both nothing. I have changed settings on the PS3, nothing. I have tried everything I can think of. The only reason I can come up with is there is a problem with the PS3 sending signal to the surround through the splitter, but I can not explain why. There is, nor should, there be any reason why it does not work. PLEASE any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 DIGITAL OPTICAL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 DIGITAL OPTICAL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems pretty simple
by Jimmy Greystone / April 2, 2009 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: PS3 DIGITAL OPTICAL

Seems pretty simple to me. Your toslink switch is bad. You said it works if you plug the PS3 into the receiver directly, but when you try and go through that switch, it doesn't work. So I don't care if there's some LED lighting up saying it's working, clearly it's not.

But HDMI is basically video and digital audio, so long term you'll want to get a new receiver that does HDMI passthrough. Then you don't need to worry about things, it's all just one cable.

Collapse -
????
by tas81685 / April 3, 2009 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Seems pretty simple

I find it hard to believe that the splitter is bad since I have switched sides to the plug in and the DVD player works just fine. I have the HDMI plugged into the TV but, I want surround sound from my PS3 because of the Blue-Ray movies. It would appear that the splitter is the reason but WHY? Like I said I have switched which sides it is plugged into and the PS3 does not work the DVD does.

Collapse -
That's new information
by Jimmy Greystone / April 3, 2009 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: ????

That's new information, since you never mentioned whether or not the DVD player worked or not.

In that case, try using the "known good" cable from the DVD player with your PS3, just to completely eliminate the possibility of a bad cable.

If it still doesn't work, then my best guess would be that since HDMI does video AND audio, the PS3 is routing all the audio to the HDMI connection and not the toslink connection. So if your TV has component inputs, and you want to pick up component cables for your PS3, that would be the cheapest option while maintaining high resolutions. The better solution is to just get a receiver that does HDMI passthrough. Believe me on that. I went through something similar, and you would not believe how much simpler things are when you have a receiver that does HDMI passthrough. Even better, IMO, is one that can do video switching, and upconversion. So you can have input coming in from component, composite, s-video, HDMI... Doesn't matter, the receiver can switch any of those to HDMI output, and even upconvert the signal to 1080p or something of that nature. While not cheap, you can get a refurb Onkyo receiver that can do this for around $500. And don't let the refurb label fool you. Most of the time they just take a new-in-box model, slap a refurb label on it, then sell it for a discount over their website. I've gotten two Onkyo refurbs, and both showed up at my door looking as if I just walked out of a store with it. My latest one had a bum remote sensor, but I actually got a couple of people in customer support who gave me actual answers, not some 5 page flowery letter with 1-2 lines addressed specifically to me.

But you can also check other brands. Most of them have outlet shops on ebay where you can get some pretty good deals. Just don't make the mistake I did... If you don't have a powered sub, make sure that the new receiver can handle an unpowered sub without the need for an external amp. Ended up costing me an extra $100, since it was that, or have this $500 receiver just sit in the garage collecting dust.

Collapse -
True about receiver convenience, but . . .
by ironbyron_hd / April 19, 2009 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: That's new information

I hope you could resolve your issues with the Toslink splitter. Like Jimmy said above, a good all around piece of equipment to have in a home entertainment system is a receiver with HDMI support. The Onkyo refurbs are usually just open box units that have been returned, but they're actually better to buy because they have been thoroughly tested and come with a warranty.

My input would be, why do you need to use a DVD player and PS3? Your PS3 plays DVDs as well as Blu-Rays. Seems like you could save some hassle and just plug the PS3 in to your main setup and move the DVD player to another room.

Collapse -
IMO
by Jimmy Greystone / April 19, 2009 11:13 PM PDT

IMO, I wouldn't use the PS3 for that simply because optical drives have high failure rates, and the PS3's optical drive is unique in that it's the only one that can read PSX/PS2/PS3 game discs. A bluray movie player is easy to replace, and typically a lot less expensive than a new PS3.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?