TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PS3/Blue-Ray - Best on Samsung 4665F or Panasonic TH50PZ700u

by eo12 / December 19, 2007 10:58 AM PST

I am having a hard time deciding which HDTV to buy, the Samsung 4665F or the Panasonic TH50PZ700u. I plan on using my PS3 mainly for watching movies, but also to occasionally play games. Does anyone have an opinion on which set is better? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3/Blue-Ray - Best on Samsung 4665F or Panasonic TH50PZ700u
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3/Blue-Ray - Best on Samsung 4665F or Panasonic TH50PZ700u
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i have ps3 and samsung 4065f
by jjnewbold / December 19, 2007 10:37 PM PST

I have the 40 inch version of the samsung. I was between these two models myself, and ended up with the Samsung mainly because of its availability. The Samsung has better colors and black levels, and no motion blur issues like older lcds. BUT the picture does wash out if you're not facing it directly. Also, there is a lack of backlight uniformity, but only noticeable on very dark scenes. The screen is a bit lighter at the left and right edges. Least noticeable through HDMI inputs (ps3) but worse with component (xbox360). They're both great tvs. You really can't go wrong either way.

Collapse -
I am not sure if jjnewbold is saying...
by stuntman_mike / December 20, 2007 1:17 AM PST

that the Samsung has better blacks than most LCDs or if he (or she, don't want to be sexist) is saying that it has better blacks than the Panny.

If you meant the latter I can tell you right now that that is false. The Panasonic has better black levels than the Samsung. Unless your talking about an off brand Plasma like a Vizio, plasmas almost always have better blacks than any other TV technology aside from CRTs.

As far as the original poster's question about which is the better TV, I would go with the Panny.

Plasmas are best for movie viewing because of their unbeatable black levels. They also have great color saturation, are very bright (though not quite as bright as LCDs) and have great uniformity. Not to mention the best viewing angles.

If you were using the TV for gaming more than anything else, it might be a closer call because of the burn-in issue with plasmas. Burn-in can be avoided by taking advantage of the sets own burn-in fixes as well as properly breaking in the set, but it is still more of a hassle to deal with than with an LCD where burn-in is not even a slightest bit of an issue. But since you are looking for a TV that suits your primary need of movie watching, the Panny is better.

Not to mention bigger. Four inches may not seem like a lot, but you will appreciate all the real estate you can get when you are watching movies. If this is your 1st WS HDTV, you might be surprised to learn that movies will still have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Movie WS is different form TV WS. TV WS comes only in 16:9. While there are some movies that are shot in 16:9 aspect ratio, and will fill your screen completely, many are shot at higher aspect ratios like 2.40:1, and will consequentially have black bars.

Also, since you are getting a 1080p set, you will also like the TV to be as big as possible to take advantage of the extra res (50" may not even be big enough to be honest depending on how far you sit from the screen).

And don't listen to the uninitiated that will try to convince you that plasmas don't last long. Newer plasmas last up to 60,000hrs or about 20+yrs of 8hr a day TV watching.

Good luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?