Ghosting in plasma screens these days isn't nearly as common as it was back in the late 90's when plasma screens first hit the market. The technology is now advanced enough to where you'd really have to burn the hell out of the tv to get any type of image retention, and when I mean "burn the hell out of", I'm talking keeping a fixed image on the screen for maybe 9 to 12 hours a day for about 1 week straight. Who watches the same thing on a tv for that long? An insane person.

From what I understand, 8 ms and 16 ms are response times indicating how fast the pixel colors can change but I'm pretty sure that's more of a marketing scheme rather than a relevent spec.

As far as your price range, plasmas generally are more expensive. You can pick up at Panasonic TH37PX60U for about $1400, but I dont follow other manufacturers as much.

Keep in mind also that the PS3 uses hdmi v 1.3. Alot of televisions, plasma or lcd, use lower versions of hdmi, so you might wanna check up on that as well before you make your purchase. With today's technology though, I'm sure you won't have much trouble finding a tv that suits your needs.