General discussion

PS3 1080p/i HDMI output unstable

Hi all,

I'm currently having a very annoying problem. Here is how it goes, i have hooked up my PS3 to my TV, which is new it is a samsung UA40C5000 (40" Full HD etc.) and it works mighty fine under the 526p resolution (or what ever that 500 number exactly is) And no problems at this resolution.

I then change the resolution to 1080p and it looks wonderful but then after 10 minutes or so (longer at times) the signal shown is a horizontal line of pink dots and then "mode not supported" even though the PS3 is still on. I can turn off the PS3 and wait about 30 minutes and do the same thing again, it seems to always work for a short time then dies out. I can alternatively hold the PS3 button down to reset it back to the default 526p setting which works.

I have also tried this on the 1080i setting and the same thing happens.

I initially thought it was the PS3 but upon taking it back to the store, the store mangers could easily play on 1080p resolution for a long time with no glitches, as well as 720p and the other setting.

The question i have is what can be causing this problem? Could this be a case of the HDMI cable? What is curious is that this is a temporal thing that it lasts for a short time before it dies out, whether the PS3 is on idle (settings menu) or in a game at a high resolution.

Which measures can i take to fully diagnose and fix this problem? I dont have any other devices that can show 1080p HDMI connection

Specs:
=========
TV: samsung UA40C5000
PS3 160GB slimline
HDMI cable: Belkin 1.3 compliant cable

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: PS3 1080p/i HDMI output unstable
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PS3 1080p/i HDMI output unstable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
PS3 1080p/i HDMI output unstable

kevphysics,

It's hard to determine without trying other 1080p devices. The issue could be the cable, or how the signal is being sent. Since it works in a store, it definitely may be worth investigating further, particularly since you're still within warranty.

I would recommend having your unit inspected, and if something is wrong, it can be addressed by a service technician.

I wish I had some tips, but there's not a lot of variables we can test with one game console. Changing the cable might be worth a shot, and I would try that before having it inspected.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
thanks

Hey thanks for the speedy reply,
I do know that its hard to check without other devices to compare it to, i might go and buy a different HDMI cable, I was just wondering if any symptom stuck out (i'm a newbie to any sort of HDMI device hehe)

I will update to see if the cable is the problem ,
i just found a similar issue regarding the new PS3's http://forums.cnet.com/5208-21577_102-0.html?threadID=384495&tag=forums06;forum-threads and hopefully that will work for me too. I`ll respond if that fixes it.

- Collapse -
Problem fixed!!

well just thought i'd update this thread, the problem was fixed!!
I bought another HDMI cable, i bought the "official" Sony PS3 cable and no issues what so ever, i played on the highest definition with no issues i also watched a few minutes of Avatar on Blue-ray and it didnt fail at all.

Very happy that it wasnt the PS3 or the T.V.

As i said i'm new to the HDMI business and didnt think that signal dropout was so drastic and dependent on the HDMI cable. Now i have to return that cable (which cost me $80 AUD as opposed to $50 AUD for the official Sony cable)

CNET Forums

Forum Info