HolidayBuyer's Guide

Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

PS2 and Planned Obsolescence

by analyzerbunny / March 21, 2007 1:00 AM PDT

I just got myself a component cable for my old school PS2. The wide body version. Well as it turns out, the old school thing doesnt output a component signal as best I can tell.

I suspect the new slimline version does work with component cables....grrr. I'm just trying to make the PS2 look half decent on my new HDTV till Sony drops the price on the PS3 and works the kinks out.

So...If you have the old, old PS2 and want to improve the picture...component cables do not appear to be the answer.

8^)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS2 and Planned Obsolescence
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS2 and Planned Obsolescence
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Planned Obsolescence"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 2:45 AM PDT

I didn't catch how your post related to Planned Obsolescence. The PS2 has aged better than most platforms. In fact it sold more units than the PS3 last season.

Bob

Collapse -
Progressive Scan...
by analyzerbunny / March 21, 2007 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: "Planned Obsolescence"

I thought progressive scan was well established back when the first PS2 was introduced.

Honestly, I'm not really that bummed or surprised. I have gotten tons of use out of that machine.

All I really want now is a slightly better picture, and was annoyed that cables I bought for the "PS2" do not work because its the "old PS2" not the new one.

Either way, its 6 years old, and still plays games like a champ.

8^)

Collapse -
Yea
by bkchurch / March 22, 2007 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Progressive Scan...

I've heard the early PS2's don't support Progressive Scan. It doesn't really surprise me since in the early days of the PS2 few people had HD or EDTV's so the thought of implementing it into games didn't seem to serve a purpose. I think the X-Box was the first to incorporate 480p support and the GC and PS2 followed suit, even now though if you look at it there's not alot of PS2 games that even support it.

Collapse -
I'm hopeful....
by analyzerbunny / March 23, 2007 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Yea

that they continue to create great games for the PS2. They have sold so many over the years, the installed user base is probably in the hundreds of millions worldwide.

I wonder if Sony would begin to restrict the developers incentives in order for them to stop creating games for the PS2 and focus on the PS3. That would force people to go out and buy a PS3.

Its probably not likely given the amount of money they make on a PS2 and what they are loosing on the PS3.

Just a thought.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.