TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

ps-wf450 Bass Power Cord Replacement

by _PointMan_ / March 25, 2015 3:44 PM PDT

The cord on my bass is damaged very close to the back, I'm quite capable of replacing the cord safely and properly, but how do you get the thing apart to get more access to the cord?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ps-wf450 Bass Power Cord Replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ps-wf450 Bass Power Cord Replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Visit the Samsung support site
by Pepe7 / March 26, 2015 12:33 AM PDT

The can make the service manual available to you.

Collapse -
Answer
This is where some spares are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 1:51 AM PDT

www.samsungparts.com

There are service manuals there but maybe the cord is there along with the part number that will save you from getting the service manual.

However, I wonder why a tech wouldn't fix up this cord? Maybe I'm too outdated but cable making was a basic skill for my generation.
Bob

Collapse -
Damagge too close.
by _PointMan_ / March 26, 2015 2:40 AM PDT

I need to remove the cover to repair (or replace) the cord, as the damage is quite close to the case, making a splice pretty much impossible, unless done at a point inside the case.

Collapse -
Since I can't see it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Damagge too close.

I can't tell if it's some grommet cable repair job or such. It's not so much a splice but I've pulled in the cord a few inches to re-attach internally. These are basic technician skills that I'm seeing pass away in favor of replacing entire systems.

Why should we expect techs to connect two wires today?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Can I remove that massive post?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 4:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Please, feel free to delete!
by _PointMan_ / March 26, 2015 4:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Link didn't work for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 4:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
If not...
by _PointMan_ / March 26, 2015 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Or This?

Basically, it's a photo of the outside of the subwoofer case, showing that the cord has been cut about 1/4 inch from the case. I can't make a repair that close, I need access to the remainder of the cord, which is INSIDE the case. There are no screws keeping the case together, I need to know how to open the case to access the cord inside.

Collapse -
See if any service manual is around.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: If not...

In some cases I just buckled down and saw out that old unusable area and fashion some block with proper connections to glue into place.

Collapse -
That worked. So two wires.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Or This?

A tech would have a lot of options here. From cracking open that case then installing a new jack or just wiring it up. Again, I'm from those days where folk stripped wires, soldered, drilled holes and bought bits and pieces from radio shack (rip).
Bob

Collapse -
Ok Bob
by _PointMan_ / March 26, 2015 5:26 AM PDT

Maybe you're not understanding me, or just making assumptions about my capabilities, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm quite capable of making a basic electrical repair, such as stripping wires and fixing a power cord, being a licensed mechanic. I don't need tutelage or condescending comments on that. I simply need to know how to get the case open without breaking anything. There are no screws holding it together that I can see, so it's either glued (which is doubtful) or held together by snaps, but I'm not having any luck locating the snaps. I was just hoping someone here might have had one of these apart before and could give me a couple of tips. If not, I'll carry on and see if I can figure it out on my own.

Collapse -
Back to samsungparts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok Bob

See if they have a manual. As you know some things are glue jobs and we have to head to the work bench to saw it open, pull it out then craft a new speaker jack post for the wires to attach to.

Good to read you know the trades.
Bob

Collapse -
We are being not where you are,
by Oldartq / March 26, 2015 6:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok Bob

It's hard to tell from the picture. But my thinking is this, they put all that stuffs in that box so there should be a way to open that box and take a look inside and maybe the cord can be pull from inside. Good luck.

Collapse -
Glue jobs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 1:22 AM PDT

A lot of gear is glued together so they replace entire sub-components rather than fix a cut off wire. At least this area is on the back side so our craftsmanship of a new plate with speaker jacks won't be noticed from the front view.
Bob

Collapse -
Precisely
by Pepe7 / March 27, 2015 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Glue jobs.

That is the crux of the matter. Repair vs replace. With a great deal of the typical big box consumer gear, we left the 'repair' mode behind a couple decades ago, unfortunately.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.