Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

PS/2 and USB Mice Stop Reading

WinXp Home, I have an old Dell Dimension 4500, 2002.
I had a Logitech MX 510 or 518, I think it was, and it started acting up, So I got 2 warrantied from them, had one go bad a while ago and never did anything, they sent me 2 G 400's. Well I was using the PS/2 port, the G400's will not work in those they must be used in USB ports according to Logitech. Yep I tried anyway. Because both mice will stay stuck firing or stuck not firing every minute or 2 and or just stop reading if I move fast I think is when it happens in quake 3 arena or quakelive, an then will start working proper in a few seconds. So I tried an older mx310 in the PS/2 port and it just stops reading for a couple seconds every minute or so, but then starts to work after 2 - 4 seconds, I only use the drivers windows installs, How ever with the G400's After they didn't work proper I installed their gaming software for it. I have tried to go into safe mode and uninstall the mice that I seen , it only seen the one currently in use. But that didn't help, any ideas ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS/2 and USB Mice Stop Reading
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS/2 and USB Mice Stop Reading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
This G400 mouse

In reply to: PS/2 and USB Mice Stop Reading

comes with software, unusual for mice but I assume this is a powerhouse mouse with special features.

Did you install that software?

Details here, (and click on Specifications); http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/mice-pointers/mice/devices/optical-gaming-mouse-g400

If you did and the problem still persists, then have you tried another USB port? If you are using a USB port at the front of the machine, try connecting it to one at the back.

Mark

Collapse -
Download Only

In reply to: This G400 mouse

Both of the G400's they sent me did not come with any software or anything, boxes seemed new and sealed, instead they lead me to the website for it and said it was download software, and it does not use the Setpoint software like a lot of others it uses the Gaming Software, which I did install. Yep, I tried it in the back USB mouse port first and then the other 2 rear USB ports, the the 2 front usb ports, same results all around, I am wondering if the Board battery might be weak would fix it, I read it somewhere, or the Bios is messed up or something, I tried it on a fresh install of WinXp Home Also on a new never used Hard drive, same thing. ):

Collapse -
Just to be sure

In reply to: Download Only

did you download and install the "lgs820.exe" file from http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/428/8259?section=downloads&bit=&osid=1 ?

You may have to enter your own details there, eg Windows XP and 'Multilingual 32 bit', (assuming your XP is 32 bit).

I doubt this is anything to do with the CMOS battery that keeps the BIOS active during power off.

But I do see FAQ's at Logitech's web site for this mouse, Support FAQs. You will notice a 'See all' link at the bottom, with what looks like useful information for setting the mouse up.

I also see a "Getting started" link. Warning, this is a direct download of a PDF file.

Other than that, they have their own forums and you may find specific help there;
http://forums.logitech.com/

As to the other post in this thread about the motherboard, whilst that is possible it is easy to test with a standard USB mouse, (no frills), tested in each of the USB ports, but somehow I doubt this is motherboard or USB port issues. I may be wrong.

Mark

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
motherboard

In reply to: PS/2 and USB Mice Stop Reading

Maybe the motherboard is faulty, PS/2 port on it

Collapse -
And USB

In reply to: motherboard

And the USB ports also ? 4 in rear and 2 in front.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.