Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Proxy Setting

by jackfrost64 / June 3, 2004 3:23 AM PDT

When I tried to use spybot it said I was using a proxy. I didn't know I was. How do I find out if I am and what it is and how to stop using it. I think it might be screwing up my ICS connection

Richard

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Proxy Setting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Proxy Setting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Proxy Setting (most don't!)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Proxy Setting

I'd set it as your ISP suggests, then use SPYBOT's lock IE Homepage and Settings to uncover what evil software installed itself on this machine.

In closing, I take this new post to be about a new problem and you solved the last thread and discussion.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Proxy Setting (most don't!)
by jackfrost64 / June 3, 2004 6:38 AM PDT

Bob, The real Problem is still this, For over a year I had My MS-6378 w/XP home and a second Computer an HP Pavilion 836XG w/ME networked with no problem with either ICS or file and printer sharing. A month ago I put XP pro on my MS-6378 and moved the XP home to the HP. From the beginning had file and printer sharing and Seldom did ICS work. Since then I have put ME back on the XP and have tried everything I could find or think of with no success. Still no ICS. Have Found my AMD Network Card is sending very little- 0%- 8or9%.
Also as stated today I find out about the proxy. I have MSN for my ISP and have for sometime and As far as I know they don't use a proxy. I feel Very strongly that this is my Problem with ICS but, don't know how or where to go from here. Hope this explains things better; if not let me know what is needed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Richard

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Proxy Setting (most don't!)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 6:45 AM PDT

This still leaves us the with a Proxy mystery. My advice stands.

As to installing XP here or there, today I find that it's a strain for people to find drivers for their machine. They really did expect Microsoft to find the proper BIOS and drivers. Nothing in you posts (correct me if I'm wrond) seems to indicate that drivers for the AMD network card were located and installed and the ICS setup reviewed again with the help of http://www.wown.com

In fact, I don't recall what the output of the IPCONFIG /ALL ever being shared.

As such, we get to watch your issues through very dim googles.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Proxy Setting (most don't!)
by jackfrost64 / June 3, 2004 7:00 AM PDT

All Drivers including for my AMDtek AN983 10/100 PCI Adapter. Bios have successfully been upgraded. Taking it one step further All software has been updated. Have used www.wown to trouble shoot and found nothing. as to the IPCONFIG /ALL I don't under stand what is being called for.

Richard

Collapse -
Problem Maybe Solved
by jackfrost64 / June 3, 2004 8:33 AM PDT

Bob, Started and setup and installed the network using suggestions I got from www.wown. Now ICS is working but am still worried about whether proxy settings will interfer and still must solve that Mystry. Thanks Bob, appreciate all the assistance. If anything changes will post.

Richard

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:PS
by jackfrost64 / June 3, 2004 6:46 AM PDT

Use eTrust EZArmor antivirus and Firewall and both are up to date. Use the PestPack. All are up to date and find no pests. Have also tried Hijackthis but am lost on this one.

Richard

Collapse -
Re: Proxy Setting
by jackfrost64 / December 5, 2004 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Proxy Setting

Bob, am still having this problem and it is getting to be a real pain. More and more sites are blocked using MSN music is also a problem. Have done everything sugested here and else where and come up empty. Only way around this is to remove check marks everytime by hand. Any further assist will be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Collapse -
Are you using the tools?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2004 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Proxy Setting

Spybot's resident tool "Teatimer" could spot what is making this change and block it.

This is either the ISP software or some SPYWARE. My memory has faded on the discussion so I get to ask if you've done the usual scans with Spybot, Adaware, Housecall and picked over your Hijackthis log?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Are you using the tools?
by jackfrost64 / December 5, 2004 6:41 AM PST

Bob I use all of the following: Ad-Aware, Spybot in advance mode, stinger, Trend, CW Shredder, SpySubtract,hijack this, EZ Antivirus 2005 and EZ Firewall 2005. I have tried using teatimer but it seemed confusing to me; but will try again.

Richard

Collapse -
After the scans...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2004 6:43 AM PST

Reboot and get a Hijackthis log to share here.

This is not to say I'll find something, but if I see something I can write you'll need to find a Hijackthis forum unless it's a simple pest.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: After the scans...
by jackfrost64 / December 5, 2004 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: After the scans...

Bob below is the log from Hijack This. Also I use both spywareblaster & BHO Demon.

Richard

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 6:39:36 PM, on 12/5/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
F:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
F:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe
F:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
F:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
C:\Program Files\MSI\Live Update 3\LMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
F:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
F:\Program Files\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
F:\Program Files\BHODemon 2\BHODemon.exe
F:\Program Files\Pluck Corporation\Pluck\PluckTray.exe
F:\Program Files\Pluck Corporation\Pluck\PluckSvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNIA\msniasvc.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNIA\WA\ClientSideProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
G:\Security Tools\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://my.msn.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:9022
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = ;127.0.0.1;<local>
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - F:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Pluck Helper - {09AF76DD-6988-4664-97D0-362F1011E311} - F:\Program Files\Pluck Corporation\Pluck\PluckExplorerBar.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - F:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Onfolio Helper - {ba727652-f90e-4d82-9ce4-98766dffc375} - F:\Program Files\Onfolio\onfoliox.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Pluck Toolbar - {7385D9F8-418B-4e6a-938F-F7596857CB54} - F:\Program Files\Pluck Corporation\Pluck\PluckExplorerBar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &ESPN - {AE6F2894-AF10-4C9C-B16E-1DFC6FF8C0C6} - C:\Program Files\ESPN\Toolbar\DIGToolBar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Onfolio - {1fea1109-9f65-4fdc-aec5-033f6cc60641} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "F:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "F:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LiveMonitor] C:\Program Files\MSI\Live Update 3\LMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] F:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Startup: BHODemon 2.0.lnk = F:\Program Files\BHODemon 2\BHODemon.exe
O4 - Startup: Start Pluck.lnk = ?
O4 - User Startup: BHODemon 2.0.lnk = F:\Program Files\BHODemon 2\BHODemon.exe
O4 - User Startup: Start Pluck.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = F:\Program Files\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Capture &Image To Onfolio... - res://F:\Program Files\Onfolio\Onfolio.WindowsResources.dll/AddEntryFromDocumentElement.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Capture &Page To Onfolio... - res://F:\Program Files\Onfolio\Onfolio.WindowsResources.dll/AddLinkEntryFromDocument.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Capture &Snippet To Onfolio... - res://F:\Program Files\Onfolio\Onfolio.WindowsResources.dll/AddEntryFromDocumentSelection.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Capture &Target To Onfolio... - res://F:\Program Files\Onfolio\Onfolio.WindowsResources.dll/AddEntryFromDocumentElement.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: View Original Image - C:\program files\msn\msnia\wa\getoriginal.htm
O9 - Extra button: Pluck - {053017A8-53F7-4EA3-AA38-A4CCAAF1F9E7} - F:\Program Files\Pluck Corporation\Pluck\PluckExplorerBar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Pluck - {053017A8-53F7-4EA3-AA38-A4CCAAF1F9E7} - F:\Program Files\Pluck Corporation\Pluck\PluckExplorerBar.dll
O9 - Extra button: Pluck this page - {1FA9B650-D1BC-4E43-96B3-13A32FC39732} - F:\Program Files\Pluck Corporation\Pluck\PluckExplorerBar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Pluck this page - {1FA9B650-D1BC-4E43-96B3-13A32FC39732} - F:\Program Files\Pluck Corporation\Pluck\PluckExplorerBar.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2fc2f9a4-c43e-42c0-9490-19d6be8b1726} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Onfolio Capture... - {2fc2f9a4-c43e-42c0-9490-19d6be8b1726} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Onfolio - {30e2a68b-20f5-419d-bbb9-dce92edc4e67} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Onfolio Collection Explorer - {30e2a68b-20f5-419d-bbb9-dce92edc4e67} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {2359626E-7524-4F87-B04E-22CD38A0C88C} (ICSScannerLight Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/cm/ICSCM_ca.cab
O16 - DPF: {3AF4DACE-36ED-42EF-9DFC-ADC34DA30CFF} (PatchInstaller.Installer) - file://N:\content\include\XPPatchInstaller.CAB
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/ZIntro.cab32846.cab
O16 - DPF: {E5D419D6-A846-4514-9FAD-97E826C84822} (HeartbeatCtl Class) - http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/heartbeat.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D7987B23-B364-45F6-A5EB-F20FE0A6D38C}: NameServer = 205.171.3.65 205.171.2.65

Collapse -
It appears to be MSN.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2004 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Re: After the scans...
Collapse -
Re: It appears to be MSN.
by jackfrost64 / December 5, 2004 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: It appears to be MSN.

Thanks Bob, I was beginning to come to that same conclusion myself. Any way to trans my favorites back to IE? ( I know, I know Out of the frying pan into the fire but fist Things first. I will probably download Firefox later, although I have had very few problems with IE.

Richard

Collapse -
I don't know that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2004 8:17 AM PST

As I revealed, while I used the MSN network for years, the software was, at the time very unstable. They did get better, but by then I didn't need it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: I don't know that one.
by jackfrost64 / December 5, 2004 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: I don't know that one.

Bob, thanks again. Have found a solution or work-around. MSN software also has it own ISP, I disabled it and setup a manual connection. No more proxy problems. Will probably junk it after free isp runs out in march.

Richard

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!