HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

Praise

Provincial Election in Ontario. Liberals win a Majority

by Rob_Boyter / June 13, 2014 3:58 AM PDT

despite much deeply negative advertising by the Tories and polling which said it was too close to call, or the Tories would win, or that it would be another minority Coalition Government.

People are polled out. They don't want to talk for 20 or 30 interminable minutes with some stranger on the phone about who they favour and what their attitudes are. I did it for a half dozen rounds, and then stopped. So many people use the telephone for advertising, and to try to sell you memberships or tickets to the Symphony (believe me, if I had the money I'd go !!!)

How nice that there is somewhere more sane than the US. Eric Cantor, whom I didn't like because he bent over forwards to allow the Tea Party easier access, was still at heart an old-fashioned conventional multi-issue Republican. Not a Bircher, or a Goldwaterite (who still looks mainstream when compared to what passes for "the Base" in Republican circles now) or a Reaganaut (because he had naught between his ears) or a Bushy with the IQ of a rabid sheep, or a screaming gun nut. In a different less partisan time, I might even have liked him.

Polarization in Canada is less than the US but is still present, and is pandered to by the Tories (Conservatives), who listen far too much to the Professional Conservative Think Tank class from the US, an influence far less apparent among Liberals who, because there is a third and more progressive party, the New Democratic Party, don't feel they have to cosy up to the Conservatives in order to try to steal their votes. They can put forward a platform of beliefs and plans for spending without kow-towing to special interests the way the Tories do, and the way Republicans have done since the days of Nixon and the Southern Strategy.

The Republican Party has always been the party of moneyed interests, business, unfettered, unregulated Capitalism and other special interests like the Religious Right, or the Deep South with it's simmering racism, or Right to Lifers willing and able to kill for that right (!!?), or the anti-immigrant crowd, or the very wealthiest 1% of Americans. Those in their thinking are not special interests.

In a supreme example of blaming the other party for faults in itself, the Republicans have insisted that the Democratic Party is the party of special interests, you know: people; the poor, the middle class, regular people, people who don't want to get shot by some mental defective with irrational rage issues against his mother or the "Government". People who would like to be sure that the water they drink hasn't been polluted by Cliven Bundy's cattle (I'm sure he thinks that he has a sovereign right to do that) or some Corporation "Too Big to Sue", who lets their sludge contaminate the drinking water of hundreds of thousands of people with no penalty, not even a slap on the wrist. And People who just want to be able to breathe the air without Sulphur Dioxide and other harmful chemicals which could be avoided through the use of Gas to drive the Electric Generators rather than Coal. Even in Britain they use Coal Gas rather than Coal. It burns cleaner and they use scrubbers to clean the flue gasses before they hit the atmosphere.

Jobs lost? Just how many people make their living mining coal and leaving huge tracts of land uninhabitable for millennia? Not many anymore. But there are members of the 1% who get all their money that way. Big machinery has put more miners out of work than has (or will) the Carbon Tax or the Clean Air folks.

But do, please, die on the barricades to preserve the right of a tiny few (who would rather cross the street than pass you on the sidewalk. That's why they live where they do, so as not to have to consort with people who aren't just like them) to pollute your air and your water and to make your part of the planet uninhabitable, just don't question my motives or my right to oppose you and stop some 0.1% Corporate guy from screwing the nation and the planet.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Provincial Election in Ontario. Liberals win a Majority
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Provincial Election in Ontario. Liberals win a Majority
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I weep for Canada
by James Denison / June 13, 2014 4:05 AM PDT

well, not really, LOL. May they have ever colder winters till they look forward to things like Global Warming. Wink

Collapse -
Liberals win a majority....
by TONI H / June 13, 2014 4:54 AM PDT

Keep it there where you can keep ending up with the "Robert Ford" types..........We have enough of our BO, Joe Biden, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Sheila Jackson Lee types that embarrass us enough every time they open their mouths.

Collapse -
Rob Ford is a dyed in the wool Conservative, who demonizes
by Rob_Boyter / June 16, 2014 10:24 AM PDT

those who live closer to the downtown core as wealthy liberals, rather like you do. Rob Ford's constituency in Etobicoke voted deep red which in every country in the world except the United States is the colour of Liberalism, Blue is the colour of Conservatism, these colours were established in France during the "Ancien Regime", as was the concept of Right and Left. The Conservatives and Royalist factions sat on the Right side of the Assemblee Nationale, and the more Radical members on the Left, hence the terminology.

From what I can determine, you'd like Rob Ford just fine politically, and I wish you'd take him.

Rob

As one who shares a bad back, I hope yours is behaving itself or is at least bearable. Mine is currently not being very nice to me, but I'm getting out and about nevertheless.

Collapse -
Right now, it's my shin
by TONI H / June 16, 2014 10:13 PM PDT

but that was my fault.....I stupidly left the dryer door open (drops down at the front) as I was unloading it, the cat startled me causing me to turn around quickly, and I walked into the corner of the door as I walked away from it once I had turned back. Deep gouge (not enough for stitches), blood going nuts because of the Plavix I take, and sat with leg propped up and ice all over the would that finally shut it down. Swelling gone after 24 hrs so I can walk again without a limp, but can't cross my ankles just yet...heheheheh. Good thing that cat is so cute....

Collapse -
And you end up with Sarah Palin and Clive Bundy
by Diana Forum moderator / June 17, 2014 2:55 AM PDT

and the couple that killed two cops and the guy in Wal-Mart who was a good guy with a gun and still wound up dead and Michelle Bachmann and the tea party and all those Congress critters that block any legislation on minimum wage but still cut the food stamps and Medicaid and the governors that refuse to increase Medicaid enrollment and all those that oppose anything that Obama is for even if they were for it earlier.

Diana

Collapse -
all those that oppose anything that Obama is for even if
by TONI H / June 17, 2014 3:14 AM PDT

they were for it earlier.

You mean like how HC, Kerry, BO, et al were 'for' before they were 'against' it? Or they were 'against' it before they were 'for' it (like gay marriage, etc)

And you mean like how Reid pockets all the bills that come out of the House, even if they were passed with bi-partisan support there? You mean THAT kind of blocking?

Collapse -
No, I'm talking about how many times the
by Diana Forum moderator / June 17, 2014 8:29 AM PDT

House has tried to get rid of ACA and how many times they have had committees on Benghazi rather than get to helping anybody than the rich.

What bills has the House passed? How many bills has the Speaker pocketed?

Diana

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.