Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Providing water in Afghanistan

by Mac McMullen / January 19, 2006 12:07 PM PST

Coalition forces are installing windmills across southern Afghanistan to provide farmers with water 24 hours a day.

''Windmills for the farmers provide an easy energy source to a rural area,'' said U.S. Army Lt. Col. Andrew Mazerik, a civil affairs officer with Task Force Bayonet of the coalition's Combined Joint Task Force 76. ''There's not a lot of maintenance needed for the windmills, and this effort shows that the Afghan government is doing something for the people.''

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jan2006/20060119_3956.html

Wow ! Great move ! The article states that the cost per windmill is $15K. Assuming that is the cost of drilling the well, as well as the windmill and the well pipe, etc, that?s a ?real bargain?, compared to prices in the USA. The article also states that these windmills produce up to 30 gallons per minute. To do that would require a 6 inch diameter well and a 16 foot diameter windmill. I?m ?guessing? the picture in the article is of a 30 foot tower with a 16 foot windmill.

Allow me to provide a bit of perspective. A ? inch garden hose, under normal city water pressure, will produce aprx 5 gallons per minute.

Most windmills in ?cattle country? in the USA, over a 3 inch diameter well, produce ?maximum? between 3 and 5 gallons per minute, many times less, under optimum wind conditions.

The depth of the well, and the size (diameter) of the well determine the size of the windmill required. To obtain 3 to 5 gal per minute, typically, a 3 inch diameter well would use a 6 foot windmill up to 45 feet deep. After that an 8 foot mill would be required for up to 65 feet; 10 foot mill up to 100 feet, a 12 foot mill for up to 150 feet, a 14 foot mill up to 220 feet, and a 16 foot mill up to 350 feet or so.

Now, ?..aren?t you glad you asked !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Providing water in Afghanistan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Providing water in Afghanistan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PS:
by Mac McMullen / January 19, 2006 2:36 PM PST

Before someone starts in about this providing help to the ''poppy crops'', be aware that the poppy is an important medicinal plant, and there is a large world market for medicinal, culinary and other products derived from the poppy plant, other than that of the ''drug culture''.

??..Also known as opium poppy, the species is cultivated extensively in many countries, including Iran, Turkey, Holland, Poland, Romania, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, India, Canada, and many Asian and Central and South American countries?..?

??..Incisions are made in the walls of the green seed pods, and the milky exudation is collected and dried. Opium and the isoquinoline alkaloids morphine, codeine, noscapine, papaverine, and thebaine are isolated from the dried material??

Read on: http://opioids.com/poppy.html

Collapse -
Yes, Del, opioids are tremendously important medically.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 19, 2006 9:57 PM PST
In reply to: PS:

But when the price paid for poppies entering legitimate channels are but a fraction of those paid by the illicit side, guess which channel most poor farmers will sell to!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Perhaps it's time............
by Mac McMullen / January 19, 2006 10:44 PM PST

.....to equally divide "attention" on the demand and the supply side rather than just the supply side while coddling the demand side.

Collapse -
Or to get government out
by Dan McC / January 19, 2006 10:58 PM PST

of such personal activities.

Dan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?