HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Protection against key loggers - Encryption?

by shortchas / February 24, 2006 3:00 AM PST

I have been concerned about doing on-line banking because I have found and deleted several key loggers, but the software I use (AOL and Web root) may not block every key logger. Naturally, I don't want anyone to be able to access my account information (Apparently Russia and Brazil sites specialize in this form of theft.) I was thinking about encrypting everything on the hard drive, but I am not sure if that will provide sufficient security. It seems to me that a key logger would steal the key stroke information before the data was encrypted, making encryption moot. I am also curious about the effect of encrypting the hard drive in total, particularily its effect on programs. Any advice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Protection against key loggers - Encryption?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Protection against key loggers - Encryption?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
what did you use now??
by Melati Hitam / February 24, 2006 3:30 AM PST

You should prevent keylogger get install on the computer in the first place..

many of us uses
Anti virus (many to choose from, i.e. Norton, McAfee, Bitdefender, Avast, AVG, etc.),

Anti Adware/spyware (such as: Spybot SD, Adaware, Spywareblaster, ewido), and

Firewall (many to choose from, i.e. zonealarm, kerio etc.)

Collapse -
I'm using Ghost Surf Platinum 2006 ...
by DUKESofHAZZARD / February 26, 2006 5:01 PM PST
In reply to: what did you use now??

but since I'm a novice pc user I haven't been able to figure how to use it to its full potential. Anyway it is supposed to encrept your data and let you surf the internet annonymously and hide your i.p. adress if you chose the settings to do this.

Collapse -
ghost surf
by whatzone7 / March 30, 2006 11:58 AM PST

Duke; you need to be careful w/ghost surf and if you deciede to uninstall:DON'T !! Leave as is !! If you need help using the program,leave a message and let me know what ill's you. Good luck-Great Program.

Collapse -
I haven't decided to uninstall it but what would happen if
by DUKESofHAZZARD / April 20, 2006 5:27 PM PDT
In reply to: ghost surf

I did uninstall it? I think I have somewhat figured out how to use it a little bit and haven't had as much problems with it as I did when I first started using it. If you got some tips on how to use this product please share them, I have asked a long time ago in these forums and never got any tips or leads to this date

Collapse -
Program I use to protect my pc from keyloggers is
by DUKESofHAZZARD / February 26, 2006 5:04 PM PST

Spyware Doctor which I paid for.

Collapse -
Ghost is no protection.
by hawk318 / April 3, 2006 2:06 AM PDT

Sorry to say your ghost surfing program is usless against "key loggers" as they could care less what your IP Address is.
The key logger copies down your key strokes and the internet address you are at when you type them.
When the logger send the info back to the writer of the logger, he basically has.... The site you were at, the page your were on and the keys you hit.
On the bright side most of the major spyware programs will find and remove loggers (most of them) I recommend:
AdAware (the paid version) http://www.lavasoft.de/
Spybot Search & destroy http://spybot.safer-networking.de/en/index.html (be nice and send in a donation)
And be sure to run the updaters before running the programs.
I run both about every 2 to 3 weeks (minimum once a month) Plus any other paid antispyware program, just to be safe. If one doesn't detect and remove a newly released logger, the other will.

Now on the other hand there are some serious "root kit" spyware Trojans out there that are hard to detect and harder to remove. C-Net had a few good articles if you want to search them out or look at my blog entry for today "Rootkit- New hidden dangers" http://spaces.msn.com/hawksnestsite/ I've combined a couple of the important articles for my visitors.
Hope this helps some Wink

Collapse -
Protection
by whatzone7 / April 3, 2006 9:48 PM PDT

I first wrote of ghostsurf; to which I used the free trial version; I like the program although I don't use it. Try these to protect- Norton,Spyzooka,3b utilities w/ cleanup and best of all Tuneler-tunneler.net. I have protected my systems w/ these for years and have yet to have a single problem. Each and every day I online bank worry free,regardless of my location on planet earth!

Collapse -
I have now come to like Ghost Surf Platinum although I had a
by DUKESofHAZZARD / April 20, 2006 5:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Protection

rought start when I first started using it and having a hard time figuring it out. The other programs that you mentioned, what do they do and are they available for free?

Collapse -
Ghost surf and other programs
by whatzone7 / April 21, 2006 10:26 PM PDT

Hello Duke:
First; ghostsurf shares DLL's ? and, If you use your own browser and need to set proxy you won't get it back after uninstall. You may need to restore system or use system disc. Destroyed my system!
Second; 3bsoftware utilities is $29.00yr. This program cleans and optimizes. The tunneler is $99.00yr and completely hides your tracks. No installation,your using privite servers. Ghostsurf doesn't do this,takes alot of system memory and may stop you from getting on favorite sites. Stopped me from using Newslink.com. ad others.
Third; Registry repair 3bsofware $29.00yr
Fourth; Norton internet sec 05-06. 59.00yr?

Many freeware programs are great,Look for utilities and repair on snapfiles.com or tucows.com
More advice; buy a piece of garbage,throw away computer to download and try every program. After trial-redownload on your pride and joy,this way you don't sacrifice or lose her forever !!!
Let me know Duke, take care.

Collapse -
Some ideas for protection
by jerang04 / April 3, 2006 8:53 AM PDT

How about using VMware's free Virtual Machine Player and the Browser Appliance when surfing the web? see http://www.VMware.com

I think that PGP prevents software keyloggers from stealing your passphrase. see http://www.pgp.com for the PGP Professional with whole disk encryption.

Collapse -
Key Stroke loggers Posts
by msdcrd / April 20, 2006 4:11 AM PDT

Regarding Key Stroke loggers. I have the Logitech MX 3000 series "WireLess" Laser Mouse and Keyboard. It has a built-in program where one enter a series of alphanumeric letters and numbers that load up and prevent this. Ket Stroke logging is then prenvented. I am running W XP Pro. So does this work; I have never had a problem. Also running ZoneAlarm (Free Ed.)and Trend AntiVirus; I hate Norton. However, on my W 98 I used same programs with the exception of Norton AV; instead I used AVG (Free Ed.) Hope this helps; feedback anyone? TY

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Are these products available for free?
by DUKESofHAZZARD / April 20, 2006 5:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
Is vmware user friendly for novice pc users such as myself?
by DUKESofHAZZARD / April 21, 2006 8:37 AM PDT

Or should I avoid this product due to my limited pc skills?

Collapse -
Notice the date...
by tomron / April 20, 2006 6:10 AM PDT

The member only made one post and has never gave any feedback.Why continue a dead thread?

Tom

Collapse -
True, but at least I'm getting my questions that I posted in
by DUKESofHAZZARD / April 20, 2006 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Notice the date...

here answered by some people.

Collapse -
Souinds good....
by tomron / April 20, 2006 10:22 PM PDT

I thought everyone was trying to respond to the original poster which seemed like an exercise in fultility since their was never any feedback from an old date.

For keyloggers click HERE

Tom

Collapse -
I see what you mean as i was responding to the original
by DUKESofHAZZARD / April 21, 2006 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Souinds good....

poster as well. Surprisingly I'm getting help through this thread although I had asked for this type of help long before this thread and no help came my why so luckily I'm getting it through this posters thread LoL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Toss of the dice
by tomron / April 21, 2006 9:42 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.