Computer Help forum

General discussion

Protecting Files on Server from Employee Deletion

We have a Dell Power Edge SC1430 with Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition with SP2 installed. Our network was setup by our computer person (someone we pay by the hour when needed).

We are wondering how we protect our data in the event we have a disgrunted employee. We would like to prevent files from being deleted in the event someone would want to do damage. The employees do not have access to the server only the shared files on the server. How do I protect the shared documents folder and accounting software data?

Under the properties for that folder, then sharing, then permissions, there is a "Everyone" group listed. Then you can give Full Control, Change or Read access. Do we need to set up another group name and list the employees that shouldn't have full control? We want the employees to be able to create and change documents. How do I go about looking into this without having to call our hourly computer person to come out? Am I on the right track? Please advise. Thanks, Kim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Protecting Files on Server from Employee Deletion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Protecting Files on Server from Employee Deletion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Backups

In reply to: Protecting Files on Server from Employee Deletion

Backups are the best possible defense against this sort of thing. I'd suggest making two sets of backups. One first thing in the morning, which can then be stored in a nearby bank's safe deposit box vault, and then another one at the end of business, which can be stored on site. That way, whether it be a disgruntled employee or just some random fluke, you should never lose more than one day's worth of data. Ideally you'd never lose any data, but better only one day as opposed to everything.

I say this, because there's no sure way to prevent someone from getting into things. Companies like Microsoft and IBM spend millions of dollars on security, and even they can't keep out the odd hacker. You're on the right general track though. Give people only the access they absolutely need to do their job when it comes to sensitive data. If Bob over in product design doesn't need access to the accounting data, don't give him access to it. And if Sally in accounting doesn't need access to product design schematics, don't give her access. Create as many groups as it takes to create the level of access you need. Just be sure to document what you do, because if you try and keep it all in your head, you will forget something sooner or later. Plus, what if you get offered a dream job somewhere else, then how is anyone else going to figure out what you did?

Beyond that, one of the best things you can do is not create disgruntled employees. Sabotage like this never even occurred to people 20-30 years ago, and I'd say there's a very simple reason for that: 20-30 years ago, employees were treated more like human beings, not livestock. Treat your employees well, and I doubt you'll ever have to worry about any kind of sabotage from a disgruntled employee. You may not have a lot of control over this yourself, but doing what little you can will go a surprisingly long way towards preventing this sort of thing from happening.

Collapse -
How is your physical security.

In reply to: Protecting Files on Server from Employee Deletion

One person left a modified bootable DBAN CD lying about. "DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction."

Imagine if someone put that into your server.

-> What does your physical security and disaster plan look like?

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.