Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Protecting Address Books & PCs from Worms/Viruses

This "tip" was recently sent to me by a friend. Is there any truth that this trick would stop the virus from propogating? Thanks. Bill

This trick won't keep a virus from getting into your computer, but
it will stop it from using your address book to spread further, and it
will alert you to the fact that the worm has gotten into your system.
Here's what you do:
First, open your address book and click on "new contact," just as you
would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of email addresses.
In the window where you would type your friend's first name, type in
"A". For the screen name or email address, type "AAAAAAA@AAA.AAA". Now, here's what you've done and why it works:
The "name" "A" will be placed at the top of your address book as
entry#1. This will be where the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends. But, when it tries to send itself to AAAAAAA@AAA.AAA, it will be undeliverable because of the phony email address you entered. If the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony address), the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected.
Here's the second great advantage of this method: If an email cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in your In Box almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an email telling you that an email addressed to AAAAAAA@AAA.AAA could not be delivered, you know
right away that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps to get rid of it!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Protecting Address Books & PCs from Worms/Viruses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Protecting Address Books & PCs from Worms/Viruses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You do know this is BAD ADVICE that won't die?

In reply to: Protecting Address Books & PCs from Worms/Viruses

Collapse -
Too bad....

In reply to: You do know this is BAD ADVICE that won't die?

It sounded like such a good idea, I was about to try it.....until I read your post!! Oh well....Maggie

Collapse -
Correct That It Won't Stop Spread (Local or Mail) of the

In reply to: Protecting Address Books & PCs from Worms/Viruses

Virus or mail trojan BUT I believe it will get AAAWorm... bounced as undeliverable back to your inbox & when you see it, you will now be aware some thing's not right and should begin scans to find the beast and remove along with notifying all in address book to beware that your e-mail may have contained XYZ worm/trojan/virus and by suppling them w/ name make any steps they may need to take fewer & clear.
I note, using AVG Mail Scanner, all my mail returned as undeliverable,
is returned by AVG warning/notification.
Not a preventer but perhaps early (before regular scan) warning. Mind you, AVG should have never allowed it on to the machine in the first place! Please tell me I'm wrong, Bob, if that is the case. TIA Sandy Grin

Collapse -
Agree with your thinking...

In reply to: Correct That It Won't Stop Spread (Local or Mail) of the

I have used this method for advance warning for some years. May not help much but at least I get a little comfort from knowing I may learn earlier of any contamination. Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
Just a thought....

In reply to: Agree with your thinking...

Although it might limit some operations, or at least make them tedious, placing the same single number or letter (or even different nos and letters) before each name in your address book, that can quickly be removed when sending mail, would lock up your address book.????

Collapse -
(NT) Humm.. that's a new wrinkle... saves ones friends also :)

In reply to: Just a thought....

Collapse -
To This Know-Nothing, Sounds Like a Very Reasonable...

In reply to: Just a thought....

& original thought & bet. I think I may try that as I send VERY little mail so wouldn't be much inconvenience! Thanks & Kudos! Grin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.