General discussion

Prosumer camera, with these specific needs...

Hello,

I'm looking for a prosumer camera, to film extreme sports (skateboarding, bmx, kitesurfing mainly) but also to film comedy clips..

- able to film in bad light conditions
- good slowmotion mode
- good filming of fast moving objects
- 24p/cinematic mode
- no tape

thanks in advance

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Prosumer camera, with these specific needs...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Prosumer camera, with these specific needs...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Quick review...

Budget?

"Bad light conditions"? If this means low-lighting, then the camcorder needs a large lens system (70mm diameter or larger) and large imaging chip array (3CCD or 3CMOS that are 1/3" or larger).

"Good slow motion" means high speed frames-per-second capture so when played back at normal speed, the result is a slow, decent image.

"good filming of fast moving objects" in the digital video world generally means lot of things - including low compression of the digital video stream. DV/HDV is the least compressed in the consumer/prosumer environments. But that means digital tape or an external storage device like those from Sony (HVR-MRC1K) or Focus Enhancements (FireStore). These are generally connected to a digital tape based camcorder and essentially replace the tape for digital video storage while still using the low-compression DV-HDV/DVCPRO-DVCPRO HD/HDCAM/XDCAM video formats.

For Sony, the "HDR" is the consumer line and "HVR" is the professional line (unless you move to HDCAM and XDACAM - but these are all "professional grade and not "prosumer") - the higher end of the HDR and lower end of the HVR lineups can qualify as "prosumer".

The Sony NEX-VG10 won't get you there. AVCHD compression is too much and high speed capture are not there. Single imaging chip is a bit lacking.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/NEXVG10_EN_ES_FR.pdf

The Sony HDR-AX2000 gets you closer. 3-CMOS chip array, but still ACVHD. It can record a burst of 6 seconds of high speed frame rate (that results in 24 second playback)
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/HDRAX2000.pdf
Page 41. Is 6 seconds capture "good"?

The Sony HVR-Z7 is up there with the HDR-AX2000 (but the Z7 is at the higher end of the HVR line).

Panasonic HDC series consumer cams jump to professional grade AVCCAM and P2 series. No "prosumer".

Canon HF series consumer cams jump to professional grade XF series. No "prosumer".

JVC Everio series consumer cams jump to the professional grade GY-HM series. No "prosumer".

The upside is that any camcorder you select that meets your "extreme sports" requirements *should* easily handle most "comedy clips".

Which of your requirements can we change to help find you a camcorder? At this point - in my opinion - there is no camcorder that meets them all - but the HDR-AX2000 is fairly close.

- Collapse -
Prosumer camera

I am not sure about the slow motion, but the Canon VIXIA HF S21 meets the rest of your needs I think. I have one and like it alot.

CNET Forums

Forum Info