General discussion

Proposed Network Setup

Hi - I am looking to run a CAT6 cable from one office to another two via a server cupboard and storage area, a large chunk (30-40m) of this cabling will be outside (in conduit pipes running alongside 240v mains cabling). Here is a picture of what I propose to do, please ask if anything is unclear. I am sure something here must be wrong - I need you to tell me what!

http://bayimg.com/image/dalggaacn.jpg

Thanks in advance Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Proposed Network Setup
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Proposed Network Setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Since.

Since Ethernet in cat 5 or 6 is good for 100 meters, nothing looks too long a run.

However there is one strange looking connection on the server on the left to what may be a switched hub. Hope someone can tell you why that's odd.
Bob

- Collapse -
Odd Server Connection

By that, do you mean the circle to square RJ45 to RJ11 connection? Thi will be used to link the server to the phone line to ue it a a fax server - only for sending faxes, the fax machine will recieve them.

There are no switched hubs on the network, currently there is 1 wireless modem router serving all of the connections, which travelling to the far office is very patchy and almost always not working, hence the reason for going wired. Router(2) is a Belkin wireless modem router - I'm hoping it will work, but if not then I will have to try another one, I wouldn't be too surpried if it didn't work to be honest. I don't need it wireless a there is the main router jut metre away. Router (3) is a Linksys 1-port access point that I am fairly sure will work without hassle, although it may need upgrading should more data ports be required.

Can someone also tell me - there is one RJ45 port with both data and voice signals in it - would it damage either a phone or a computer if it was connected, or should the data cables only have pins 1,2,3,6 and voice only have pins 4,5 connected?

Thanks for getting back to me.

- Collapse -
Sorry no.

There are definitely 2 connections to the server in that diagram.

As to no switched hubs, I can see where newer owners can say that but there is a switched hub in your common multiple Ethernet port router so I'm at a loss as to how to nicely put this. My apology if I presented it and hurt anyone's feelings.
Bob

- Collapse -
Multiple Connections

Yes - there are 2 connections, one for data and one for voice (fax).

I don't know what you're trying to say about the routers - but if the cabling is OK then I know how to configure the routers to work.

- Collapse -
What I'm saying.

Is that today's router is a collection of items we used to have boxes for. We would have a router, then a switched hub but today the switched hub is inside the common router.

Apology in advance as I don't expect everyone to remember all that or what stuff is made of or how things work.

Bob

- Collapse -
Right..

So I already have a switched hub built into the routers? Does that mean everything is OK or because there are more than one of them will I have troubles?

- Collapse -
Sorry.

The only item that looked odd was the two connection on the server. Since what a router is, what a hub is and what each does is on the internet I don't duplicate that here.

At the top of this forum is a sticky note about how to use more than one router. As to multiple hubs, that's been done for years with little more than plug in the cables.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info