PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Proposed Game PC thoughts please upgrades?

by nick_cim / December 3, 2007 10:55 AM PST

Hello,

My names nick and id like you guys to look at my proposed setup. this is not final yet and the most i can spend is prolly 1500 maby 2000 but my parnts prolly wont go for that. currently i am buying my parts at www.newegg.com except for my GPU im goin with tiger direct for that seeing as it is $70 cheaper and comes with Crysis. well here it is:

1. Mobo: Asus Striker Extreme
2. CPU: Intel core 2 Quad Q6600. $ restraint wont permit me to buy the core 2 extreme QX9650
3. GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX
4. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB of storage.
5. RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB
6. Case: Antec nine-hundred
7. OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate

P.S. Do i need to get the Windows Vista Ultimate System Builders pack? it costs $200 more

thank you for looking over my post.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Proposed Game PC thoughts please upgrades?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Proposed Game PC thoughts please upgrades?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
game pc
by ramarc / December 4, 2007 7:51 AM PST

since you're somewhat budget constrained, scale back your mobo, video card, and hard drive.

the asus p5n32-e sli ($195) will OC almost as well as the striker and save you $100. (the q6600 should hit 3.2ghz fairly easily.)

save another $200 by getting an 8800gt/512mb. it's in spitting distance of the 8800gtx in most benchmarks. unless you're running at 1920x1200 or higher, the 8800gt will run crysis just as well as a gtx.

lastly, save another $100 and get a 750gb drive. this western digital ($160) is faster than the seagate and almost matches the hitachi 7k series 1tb.

that's $400 saved so you can afford another 8800gt if you want to outperform a gtx ultra.

one caveat though. don't expect any nvidia 680i based motherboard to be fully compatible with the new 45nm penryn quad cores (q9000 series). so this build will probably deadend with the q6000 series. if you want penryn compatibility and don't need sli, then look for a mobo based on the intel p35, q35, or x38 chipsets.

retail vista is more expensive ($320) than the system builder version ($170). vista options

asus striker review: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-striker-extreme.html

8800gt/gtx benchmarks: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/leadtek-8800gt-extreme_11.html#sect0
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=9

680i/penryn: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11/28/nvidia_680i_boards_dont_support_penryn/1

Collapse -
thank you
by nick_cim / December 4, 2007 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: game pc

thank you for your imput great ideas. so do i need the system builder or not?

Collapse -
you need system builder if
by ramarc / December 5, 2007 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: thank you

you want to save $140 on ultimate and don't ever plan on calling microsoft for support.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?