Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Proper steps to wipe out a PC

by rareblacpearl / July 25, 2009 6:45 PM PDT

I know I have a virus, I can't get it off, so I'm wiping my PC out. I already have everything backed up and I'm ready to go. Only problem now is I can't seem to get the process started.lol

I stick the windows xp home edition disc in and nothing happens... Then I leave the disc in and restart my PC and still nothing happens. What in the world am I doing wrong? I've tried running the program, and f keying it and I've read the manual already and still no clue. This was such a simple process with me old PC. All i had to so is start the PC with the disc in and it started.

PC is 4 months old, custom built with XP Home edition running.

Thank you so much in advance for helping me out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Proper steps to wipe out a PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Proper steps to wipe out a PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you say nothing happens
by Steven Haninger / July 25, 2009 7:57 PM PDT

do you mean there's no response from the PC at all? What you'd need to do is make sure your BIOS is set to look at the CD ROM device for bootable media first. As such, if your copy of XP Home is legitimate and in good condition, it should boot from that and you should see the progress on your screen. Now, if this was a custom built machine, you're also going to need to have all the drivers handy including ones for the motherboard. Do you have these? Tell what you do see and hear as you're trying to boot from the CD so that can be resolved first.

Collapse -
Thank You
by rareblacpearl / July 25, 2009 9:41 PM PDT

Thank you so much for responding.

Yes I have all of my drivers and disc to all of my items on the PC.Also yes the PC responding to me placing a media CD and also ones with files on it. I'm only having problems with this Windows CD.

When I place the XP disc in the light that indicates it's coming on works, but the disc it's self does nothing. As far as it being a legit copy,well this is my first time taking it out. However i did think of that and have already contacted XP about weather or not it could be a fake. Because in all honesty, I haven't the first clue how to tell if it's a legit copy or not. It's bronze in color, with a hologram type overlay, with Windows XP in tiny letters all over it and Microsoft in a square box at the bottom, and that box contains, tiny number at the top and bottom of it as well. The CD it's self has no scratches on it at all.

What I see when i place the disc in is that indicator light come on and it continues to run, but the disc doesn't seem to be responding, because nothing happens. As far as what I'm hearing... it sounds as if something is trying to boot up or rather something is running int he dics drive.

Collapse -
"PC is 4 months old, custom built "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2009 9:48 PM PDT

Since it's custom I read your post and can guess about a few common issues.

1. Set the BIOS to boot from that drive.

2. The new to some issue of SATA hard disks and SATA DVDRW drives.

Your post is far too light for me to say it's item 2 but if the DVDRW drive is SATA installing can be painful in SOME machines. But let's hear what you have to say about the BOOT PRIORTY, ORDER noted in item 1.
Bob

Collapse -
I think your on to something
by rareblacpearl / July 25, 2009 9:57 PM PDT

I'm going to try just that, I have a feeling you may be correct as far as issues 1. I'm going to go try that right now. I'll let you know how it pans out.

Thank You Bob.

p.s. sorry about the light post, I didn't want to ramble to badly...(smile).

Collapse -
Here's the data to ramble on about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2009 10:02 PM PDT

Hard drive and DVDRW drive connected by SATA. The BIOS settings for AHCI, IDE, etc.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!