The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Pronouncing Acedtect

by MacHugger / January 20, 2006 6:58 AM PST

First, I'm assuming Tom is acedtect. If so, Tom, how exactly do you pronounce your forum name?

It's like looking at a vanity license plate. You keep thinking "I know I'll get it eventually, I'm just putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable."

Here is what I've tried (listed sort of phonetically):

Aced-TEKT
ACID-Tekt
Uh-SEED-tekt
Ace-D-Tekt
Ak-Ed-Tect (as in Academic Education Tect).

Am I even close? Happy

-Kevin (aka MAC-hugger, not Muh-chugger :))

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pronouncing Acedtect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pronouncing Acedtect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
pretty sure
by Veronica Belmont-20381073359499778927797251280312 / January 20, 2006 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Pronouncing Acedtect

it's number one.

Collapse -
ya
by awinn233 / January 20, 2006 7:43 AM PST

I was wondering this as well.

Collapse -
It is in fact
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / January 20, 2006 7:50 AM PST

Me, Tom.

And it is pronounced:

ACE De-TEKT

And if you're really bored I'll tell you how I got stuck with it as a username in 1996.

Collapse -
I'm bored
by MacHugger / January 20, 2006 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: It is in fact

Do tell...

-Kevin

Collapse -
OK, you asked
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / January 20, 2006 3:15 PM PST
In reply to: I'm bored

Besides, Veronica's dying to know (for some unknown reason) and I said I'd wait to see if anyone here bit.

So here goes

In 1996 my ISP, Worldnet, didn't offer free web space, so I thought I'd sign up for a Web-only account to get free webspace from a different ISP then called Concentric. I was reading Raymond Chandler at the time, and it was supposed to be a second account, so I used the username acedetective. Well they had a character limit, so it came out acedetect.

Then I found out my web-only account not only didn't include dial-up but didn't include the free web space either. So I decided to just switch ISPs and get the dial-up from Concentric. I had canceled the Web-only account, but it wouldn't let me use the username acedetect (probably because it was still in the database. So instead of picking something entirely different, I chose a variation, acedtect. That became my email, acedtect@concentric.net.

On down the line, whenever I signed up for accounts, tmerritt was almost always taken, so I just started using acedtect.

Asleep yet?

Collapse -
*zzz*
by Veronica Belmont-20381073359499778927797251280312 / January 20, 2006 3:45 PM PST
In reply to: OK, you asked

I thought it would be a story full of intrigue and mystery. i was wrong.

Wink

Collapse -
Its more exciting than how I got "Jasmes"
by Jasmes / January 20, 2006 4:07 PM PST
In reply to: *zzz*

In fourth grade my friend and I accidentally both went to type my name "James" on the same keyboard at once. An extra "S" got in there, and Jasmes was born.

Collapse -
Well, if we're sharing...
by MacHugger / January 20, 2006 4:35 PM PST

Tom, I was certain part of the story behind your name had something to do with an 8 character limit. Now for an even more boring story...

MacHugger was born at an aerospace company in the early 90's. We used Macs in the graphics department (''noooo, you're kidding??'') and the rocket scientists used PCs. On our company bulletin board, I often found myself righting the wrongs of ignorance amongst the PC biggots... and there were many. (An aside - a company full of MIT rocket scientists required a large way-overworked IT department to stay running. The Mac users (you know, just us "dumb artists") did our own IT and almost never missed a beat. Anyhow...)

Shortly before the World Wide Web blew up, everybody was fortelling the doom of the Mac. Then BAM! Mosaic was platform independent and leveled the playing field. During those dark days, I was labeled ''Mac Hugger,'' kinda like people trying to save the rain forest against impending doom are called ''tree huggers.'' The end.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Can web forums do spellchecking?
by MacHugger / January 20, 2006 4:54 PM PST

Didn't catch my typo until after I posted.

Is there a way to implement a spellchecker within the forum? Is that something that must be done through CNET, through the browser, or on our own machine? Websites never have built-in spellcheckers.

At the very least, I wish we could edit our posts after they are posted. TMV, can you guys pass that request along? Thanks.

BTW, the misspelled word was "bigot."

-Kevin

Collapse -
Functionality...
by John.Wilkinson / January 21, 2006 12:37 AM PST

The ability to spell-check posts can come in all three of those forms...implementation by the website, an add-on for the browser, and/or a stand-alone program installed on your computer. I believe Safari includes a built-in spell-checker, but if you're using Firefox you can search for an updated version of SpellBound (the 'official' version is not compatible with Firefox 1.5). As to an edit feature here in the forums, it's been considered and denied...you and click here for the official explanation.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Browser god
by MacHugger / January 21, 2006 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: Functionality...

As always, John, you are full of very useful knowledge regarding web browsers. Thanks for the tips.

I also read the link you provided about editing posts. Very disappointing to hear they won't consider it. I've always been a fan of providing a user 10 minutes to edit something then after that, it sticks.

-Kevin

Collapse -
More sharing
by netmasta / January 22, 2006 4:55 AM PST

My user name is a variation of my Yahoo! name, netmaster5k. I picked out that one right around the time when everyone started talking about y2k. netmaster2k was already taken. I chose the netmaster part because I was online so much.

I now try to use netmasta on forums, 'cause it sounds cooler.

Boring, much?

Collapse -
and my name :)
by Dilbert278 / January 23, 2006 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: More sharing

I don't have a cool nickname....I should get one, but meh.

Anyway, wmoisis. W is for will. Moisis is of Macedonian /Greek origin I think, incase your wondering .

It is pronounced Moi-sis (as in toy and like sister, respectivly)

WOW

how incredably boring

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?