Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Prompted to Upgrade to...

For the last few months, I keep getting the Windows Automatic Update asking me to update to Service Pack 3 for XP Office. But I do not have XP Office; I have XP Home Edition - so why is it doing this? I don't even have the programs that it says it is an update for. I have no Office XP products on my computer at all, except for Word 2002 with MS Office Tools, which I use often, and maybe Outlook 2002 - but I do not use it. So, why prompt me to update for something that I do not have?

This is what it prompts me with as a description for the SP3 update:

Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) provides the latest updates to Microsoft Office XP. SP3 contains significant security enhancements, as well as stability and performance improvements. This service pack applies to any level of Office XP. It contains all updates included in SP1 and SP2, in addition to updates released after SP2. SP3 applies to the following Office XP products: Word 2002, Excel 2002, Outlook 2002, PowerPoint 2002, Access 2002, FrontPage 2002, Publisher 2002, and Office XP Web Components.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Prompted to Upgrade to...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Prompted to Upgrade to...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Office XP is AKA 2002.

In reply to: Prompted to Upgrade to...

Collapse -
Suite or individual programs...

In reply to: Prompted to Upgrade to...

It doesn't matter as far as the service pack is concerned. It will apply the necessary patches to the programs it finds. This is a Good Thing(tm) to install, especially if you're taking your life into your own hands (so to speak) by using Outlook.

Collapse -
MS Works Suite 2004

In reply to: Suite or individual programs...

I don't use Outlook. In fact, I have never even truly figured out how to use it (and this is coming from a Computer IS major). I've been trying to figure out Mozilla Thunderbird, though.

I went out and separately bought Works Suite 2004 because when I got this computer the only thing it had on it was Corel WordPerfect and a bunch of Dell Media Experience junk, and I needed to have the same word program as my teachers at college, otherwise, when sending documents through e-mail they would not be able to open them (that was their excuse, not mine - I am very aware that it has a converter, I have used said converter). The suite came with Word 2002, and Microsoft Works 7.0 -:- Calendar, Spreadsheet, Database, Portfolio, and Address Book (none of which do I ever use, except for maybe Calendar and Spreadsheet).

I only *truly* have and use one of the programs out of the eight listed in the SP3 description that it could actually apply itself to, so is it really still worth the download/install?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.