Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Prompt to log off when trying to send email

by gabemegarcia / June 3, 2004 5:38 AM PDT

I have a HP Pavilion, AMD Athlon processor with 128MB Ram, Windows ME v4.90.3000 IE6.0 SP1. I have run Ad-aware,AVG 6.0,CW Shredder, Spybot, Spyware blaster,Housecall and have installed all windows updates.No virus found. I am on a dialup with Netzero.Unlimited time. Problem is that when I click the "To" to insert an 'address' the computer 'prompts' me to "log" off. I, of course say no and am than able to send my message. Some times it disconnets me automatically after I 'hit' the send button. I have an account at netzero and at yahoo and they both do the same thing. I noticed that when I just type an 'address' I do not seem to have this problem. Problem has been on going for a couple of months, however, now it is a constant problem.Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance. mary ellen

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Prompt to log off when trying to send email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Prompt to log off when trying to send email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Prompt to log off when trying to send email. What email software?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 6:12 AM PDT

There is a nuance in Outlook Express that a checkbox is titled "logoff after retrieving email" or something like that. How is that set?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Prompt to log off when trying to send email. What email software?

What email software? Actually, I don't know. Where can I look to find out? I don't actually have an outlook express email address, but I guess that doesn't matter. mary ellen

Collapse -
What email software?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 6:46 AM PDT

Try Help About. Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re:What email software?
by gabemegarcia / June 3, 2004 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: What email software?

Bob
I'm sorry. I must have misunderstood your reply. I do have Internet Explorer 6.0. I clicked Tools/Internet Options/Programs, saw email=Outlook Express. I opened Outlook, did not see anywhere, what you asked about 'log off after receiving email' or some such. Changed Privacy tab setting to Medium. No help.Do you think I should click on reset web sittings? Thanks for working with me on this. mary ellen

Collapse -
Outlook Express then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 8:05 AM PDT

That could be what you are using. I'm positive that Internet Explorer 6.0 doesn't do email unless you are using Web based email like Hotmail or other.

Why do I get disconnected after I send or receive e-mail?

In Outlook Express, click on Tools and then Options. Under the Connection tab, make sure that there is not a check mark in the option Hang up after sending and receiving. If there is, remove it and click on OK.

As to reseting Web settings, you may if you wish. For IE and OE, I rarely use anything other than the defaults.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Outlook Express then.
by gabemegarcia / June 4, 2004 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook Express then.

Thanks Bob, you helped me fix my problem. There was "not" a check mark in that option, however, it got me to thinking about my "Netzero" internet provider. I clicked on options on Netzero and guess what, there was a "check" mark on 'Disconnect NetZero when I close my last browser'. I 'unchecked' it and now my email seems to be working ok. I just hope I didn't mess anything up while I was trying to fix it. If you know what I mean. Ha Ha.
Thanks again Bob

Collapse -
Even though I didn't nail it...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2004 3:55 AM PDT

If I provided a spark or lead you around the problem, that is all we can hope for in such a problem solving forum.

Best of continued luck,

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!