TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

ProjectorLamps:What damage is done when turning it on & off?

by SRKaye / October 5, 2006 9:18 AM PDT

My roommate listens to music on our cable channels for a short amount of time each day. She turns on the TV so she could see what music channel she wants to put on. I told her to turn off the tv once you find the channel you want, because the music channels are pretty much audio only, so we don't waste lamp life, but is that much better? Is is worse for a lamp to be turned off and on several times in an hour, or would it be better just to leave it on?

Thanks in advance for anyone who helps. I really appreciate it!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ProjectorLamps:What damage is done when turning it on & off?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ProjectorLamps:What damage is done when turning it on & off?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ProjectorLamps:What damage is done when turning it
by jcrobso / October 6, 2006 1:15 AM PDT

What kind of TV do you have??
Only DLP,LSoS and LCD RP-HDTVs have lamps.
In general for any TV is to turn it on and leave it on untill your done watching for day or night is beter than turning it off and several times a night.
Some FYI about lamps. How many times have you turned on the room light and it went poof, flashed and died??? Many times I'm sure, turning is on is hard on lamps. The filimant goes from room temperature to about 2000 deg.f in a second, this is when lamps are most likely to fail. John

Collapse -
Its's a front DLP projector
by SRKaye / October 6, 2006 2:35 AM PDT

Thanks John. It's a DLP and a front projector. What you said made a lot of sense. I will follow your advice. Thanks again.

Collapse -
MORE ADVICE
by stewart norrie / October 6, 2006 3:21 AM PDT

Since I have been retired and watch a lot of t.v. I bought a cheap t.v. and put ot over to one side of my home theater Now I can watch the news etc. during the day and then only have to power up my lamp once at nite to watch hi-def. steweeee

Collapse -
Projector Lamp life
by jontf65 / August 7, 2012 6:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Current surges
by mjd420nova / August 8, 2012 12:49 PM PDT

The biggest stress on any lamp, projector, incandesant, even LED is during the turn on cycle. When the current passes through the filament, usually tungsten, it gets very hot and goes from room temp to 1,500 degrees in milliseconds and stresses the filament to its maximum. Thus, leaving units turned on will solve that initial surge that causes the most failures. Again, leaving the unit turned on when not in use decreases the life of the unit and the lamps do have a certain lifetime, usually around 10,000 hours and at the initial cost, wasting any of that time can lead to an early failure.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?