TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Projector vs tv questions?

I just had a few questions on what i should do. My university is offering me a 32 inch samsung lcd tv for $700 flat. But i wanted to put together a projection entertainment system. I was wondering if i could get a decent projector that would fit my needs for less then $700 or should i get a the tv? What i wanted to hook up was: xbox 360, ps3,wii, Blu-ray player and try to get a tv tuner(or better off getting a cable box?). What kinda projector would be recommended? i dont really care if their refurbished or new but as long as it has the hook ups and fit my needs. Thanks for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Projector vs tv questions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Projector vs tv questions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

In reply to: Projector vs tv questions?

What is the model # of the tv they are selling $700 may not be that good of a deal. Amazon is a good source to see about prices of diffent models/brands in one place. Like I just clicked on 'Tv's/HDtv's' & the 1st page the 3rd tv is a 40" 1080p samsung for $945, a better deal?????

If you get a projector you will need a bit more money, like $1k min & then you still need a screen, speakers & a reciever.

Collapse -
hmmm

In reply to: ......

well the model was a Samsung LN32A450, which i think resales for like $850? ah but a 40 inch for $950 sounds really nice but im just going to have trouble getting the extra money maybe.

So the base price to get a projector is about a grand? even with out an audio system and screen? cause at the moment i already have a audio system that im using with my current set up. And my boss offered me a screen that they where going to replace in the office so thats what kinda got me interested in a projector.

What about those that you see at best buy thats on sale and such? im guessing their really not that good? =\

Collapse -
just stick to a name brand

there are no standouts AFAIK, at your price point. Just stay away from unknown brands.

I've heard that at a near-doublling your budget, Mits 4900/5000 is pretty good. The next standout/price point could be Epson 1080UB at close to another near-doubling of budget.

Don't forget to budget for bulbs.

Collapse -
More complicated then i thought..

In reply to: just stick to a name brand

From What it sounds like i have to get into the 1k+ range to get a decent theater set up, Do business projectors work as well as home theater ones? I saw a used Sony VPL-AW10 BRAVIA projector for $750 which i though was pretty good, it being a sony. So with bulbs i would have to change them every year? or more often? i see that some places sell them for $3-400 a pop o_o;;

Collapse -
PLEASE NAME YOUR UNIVERSITY...........LOTS OF FRIENDS.......

WANT TO SEND THEIR KIDS THERE IF THEY ARE GIVING AWAY FREE HDTVS!!!!

GIVEN TUITION AND ROOM+BOARD I WOULD NOT SETTLE FOR A CRAPPY

SAMSUNG MODEL.

CAN OF WORMS..........

RIVER.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.