TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Projector and PC

by necko78 / May 5, 2006 11:52 AM PDT

Hi, there seems to be a lot of very smart and experienced people on this forum. Here is my problem. Hopefully, someone can give me advice on this.

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 based PC with the max resolution of 1920x1200. It has 1 DVI and 1 VGA output. The DVI output is connected to a 24in widescreen monitor at the max resolution and has been working perfectly. I would like to keep it as is.
However, I just got a Sony VPL-HS51 projector. The projector has many inputs including HDMI and VGA. Based on its manual, it supports the max setting of 720/50p via HDMI and 1280x720 via VGA.

What I need an advice on is about the best way to connect my PC to the projector (for the best picture quality). My PC is my only enterntaiment center - I currently watch DVD's on the DVD-ROM drive. Hence, I want the best picture possible. Also, I am now looking to buy a HDTV tuner card to watch digital over-the-air programming on my PC.

I currently have four reservations: (1) if I were to use DVI-HDMI connection, the displayed PC desktop would be of very low resolution on the projected screen (although movies might be fine), Plus I would probably have to purchase a new video card with dual DVI outputs (2) if I were to use the VGA-VGA connection, I would get an analog and not digital picture of 480p when watching DVD's and 1080i when I buy the tuner card, (3) I would strongly like to keep the current DVI-digital widescreen display connection in place, (4) The projector is about 25ft away from the PC. So, I will need a 30ft cable to connect the two.

What is the most optimal connection for me to get the best possible quality out of my PC?
Should I consider buying a new dual DVI video card? Is the price tag of ~$200 for 30ft DVI cable really worth it?

Many thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Projector and PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Projector and PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WARNING
by stewart norrie / May 5, 2006 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Projector and PC

Check out the owners manual on your new Sony projector It should say do not hook up to p.c. Or call Sony and ask them. Most folks want to keep there p.c seperate from there home theater system but good luck stewart

Collapse -
projectors and PC's are fine
by sirroundsound / May 6, 2006 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Projector and PC

I am suprised that Stewart didn't advise you on the Gefin splitter. That might be worth a look. You can get a DVI splitter, alowing you to connect 2 displays to your computer output. You may have to try a direct connection to the projector first, if your computer is set for MAX resolution, and the projector can't downconvert it then you will have issues.
All you need to do is connect the cable you have right now, put the projector on the floor or somewhere close, fire it all up and see if you get a picture.
There are other companies that make these type of splitters out there, should not be too hard to find one, AV tool box, Extron, Kramer are a few I can think of that should have something.
If all this doesn't work, then back to the old VGA connection, which still should look very good.
Good luck

Collapse -
projectors and PC's are fine
by jcrobso / May 6, 2006 4:00 AM PDT

I would use VGA for the projector, since your run is 25'+ DVI has problems on longer runs it's best 15' or less. I've used VGA on 100' runs no problem.
The video quality between vga and DVI is VERY, VERY close.
I'm using a 21" CRT monitor set at 1280x1024 over VGA no problems. I hook this PC to MY HD-CRT-RP TV with DVI some times and watch some WMV HD encoded DVDs at 1080p.
And this is only Nvida 5200 with 128mb, not nearly as good as you ATI 8500. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?