General discussion

projection TV lamps

I have a Sony KDS-60A2020 rear projection TV. I've now had two lamp bulbs (XL-5200) burn out. As they are kind of pricey, I'm wondering
if anyone out there has experience with the best bulbs to buy?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: projection TV lamps
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: projection TV lamps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Taking the sting out.

I did this. I thought about the number of years I got from a bulb. The price per year or month didn't sting as much.
Bob

- Collapse -
I wish it was that easy

For the last two years, I've had two identical failures with my KDS-50A2000. The picture shuts down and the power button blinks red. That first failure cost me a replacement bulb, which later proved to be a good bulb. Now I've got the same failure again. But this time I was smart (or so I thought), I just replaced the bulb myself. Using the "good" bulb from the last failure. But no luck. After attempting to contact SONY I found there is a Class Action Suit concerning "Optical Block" failures in this and many other Sony Models. It appears the failure, in these models was "discovered" prior to the sales of these models. Caveat Emptor. Sony's Customer Service response is, "Your TV requires servicing." Thank you, Sony for your honest service.

There is an open litigation against Sony for these and many more models, please join in, you may be able to recovery some of the costs you've suffered. You can be sure Sony will notify everyone who has lost money on these repairs. Yeah, through their wonderful Customer Service(?)

Good luck, with that

- Collapse -
See where you model falls at link?
- Collapse -
(NT) hello
- Collapse -
hello

i actually had the same problem with you guys, to the point i was ready to throw my tv away. until i say to my self and finally realize the whole time i was buying cheap lamps. so i came across this website www.zanonlights.com i made a purchase of their tv lamps they had available. since my tv is just as new since i bought it. just remember you get what you pay for. they are not that expensive and all they sell mostly are phillips brand.

- Collapse -
KDS-50A2000

I've had continuous failures with my two year old KDS-50A2000. I purchased a replacement XL-5200, only to find out that was not the failure. The TV overheats, then shuts down; no audio, no video, just a blinking power light. After it sets, unplugged, for several hours, it can be turned on and used for another 4 hours before it fails again.
Terrein

- Collapse -
Just an idea.

Years ago I have a RPTV that was like that. I found a small quiet fan and placed it to blow air at the back of the set. It then ran for days just fine. Eventually something did fail but that's another story.
Bob

CNET Forums