Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Programs that Install Seach Bars and Favorite Folders

Everytime I open Microsoft Explorer something adds a extra-search bar and some favorites to the favorites folder. Does anyone know how to delete this? I am guessing that when I watched a video via windows media player that I clicked yes to install some program when I thought it was just asking to download a codec.

Thanks,

Gambogi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Programs that Install Seach Bars and Favorite Folders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Programs that Install Seach Bars and Favorite Folders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Programs that Install Seach Bars and Favorite Folders

In reply to: Programs that Install Seach Bars and Favorite Folders

Hi - it sounds like you've picked up some Spyware and unwanted ActiveX control scripts.

There are a couple of good software programs to remove this garbage from your machine - Ad Aware (easier if you're non techie) and Spybot Search & Destroy (has more features for the advanced p.c. user - it can make changes to the Windows Registry so if you don't have a clue as to what that means - try Ad Aware). Ad Aware is a free (I think...) download, Spybot Search & Destroy allows a free trial for 30/45 days or so.
After you clean up your p.c. with these tools you can use a number of programs to block spyware and unwanted Active X scripts like a firewall. An excellent free firewall is called Zone Alarm - running a firewall is a MUST especially if you have broadband. If you're running Windows XP, their new Server Pack 2 upgrade is full of new security options. If you don't use Windows XP make sure to FREQUENTLY check Microsoft's site for Internet Explorer updates and security patches (yes AOL's web browser is just an interface over Internet Explorer so this applies here as well).
And make sure that you have anti virus software that is UPDATED frequently. I used Symantec's Norton Antivirus program and run a scan every DAY when I'm sleeping. You can set a schedule to run it automatically (i.e. 3 a.m. everyday when your asleep). It does take a long time to do a complete scan if you have a large hard drive along with lots of software but if you don't have a slew of software (like me) on your p.c. the scan will be quicker.
I hope this helps. You might want to do some web searching on Spyware/Malware...just be careful to not download anything that is NOT on the d/l section on this website because some Spyware manufacturer's "claim" their software is a Spyware removal system when in reality it's just another way of ADDING more Spyware to over burden your p.c.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Programs that Install Seach Bars and Favorite Folders

Julie,

Thanks for your reply, but I have actually done all of that with both spybot and adaware and NAV/NIS. I will do some searching like you said about Spyware/Malware. Any other suggestions when it comes to getting rid of my problem?

Thanks

Gambogi

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Programs that Install Seach Bars and Favorite Folders

OK something must be in the Windows Registry that Spybot and Ad Aware isn't picking up. What is the URL that's being added to your favorites? And does the unwanted toolbar show up in control panel? If not, I would probably look manually in the Windows Registry for the annoying thing and look for something being changed in there. But playing around in the Registry is a dangerous thing if you make an error so I really have to make a disclaimer and say I don't recommend it even though I myself have done it. Someone that is actually qualified technically to give you some guidelines is probably the best option as I've learned everything like this just as a hobbyist.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.