General discussion

Programs, Task Manager don't appear to start

I've had an issue that I hope someone can help me with:
often (not always), when attempting to start a program, anything, the cursor shows the hourglass for a few seconds, then nothing. I try to look at the task manager to see if indeed the program is running, but that fails to display. I try to restart and THAT fails. It just sits there. So I pull the plug.
Just today, while resolving a conflagration with Comcast High-speed (they shut me off, @!#%) the problem occured, but this time it seemed to coincide with them re-connecting me. Perhaps there is a conflict here? I asked them to look into it, but...yeah, sure. Don't get me started on service in this country...
I am running dual Pentium 4 @ 3.01 GHz, 1GB RAM. The cable modem is a Motorola SB 5100 "Surfboard".

howlingMad!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Programs, Task Manager don't appear to start
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Programs, Task Manager don't appear to start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's a common sign of SPYWARE.

Try the usual Spybot, Adaware treatments.

- Collapse -
It's possible, but...

I've run:
Spybot-S&D
AdAware 6
Yahoo Anti-Spy
HighjackThis
MS Anti-Spyware (very good)
SpywareScanner
Norton AntiVirus (just in case)

What else you got?

- Collapse -
If you are sure

that you have no malware, can you boot into safe mode and select Last Known Good configuration?

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info