Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Programs running in background?

by bigsispat63 / June 24, 2004 3:50 AM PDT

Have Pentium III, using WIN98SE
Want to use Norton Disk Doctor, but don't know how/where to temporarily disable Programs running in background. Cause it just keeps restarting due to disk write.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Programs running in background?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Programs running in background?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Programs running in background?
by Bob__B / June 24, 2004 4:22 AM PDT

I have never used the product however you might want to try running it in SAFE mode.

That should stop most background task from loading.

Collapse -
by Brad23 / June 25, 2004 6:22 AM PDT

HI:

You might try this, I use the following when using though scan disk & defrag. Disable the screen saver, + if you have the monitor turn off after a certain amount of time change that to never, get rid of the quick launch, that is on the task bar,get rid of cookies temp. files temp. internet files, then get rid of history,if that fails, click on alt. ctrl delete, & close down everything except, explorer & systray, you will have to do this about 6 time to get rid of the programs required, don't for get to restart computer,after, going to shut down then restart, plus you will have to put back the sceen saver + monitor, & quick launch, to disable the quick launch right click it click toolbars, then get rid of the check mark in quick launch, to bring back just put back check mark.
should work.

Collapse -
by mp3artists / June 26, 2004 7:22 PM PDT

defrag will run if you shut down all programs in systray, except for systray and windows explorer. Ctrl-Alt-Delete
and exit everything except the two above mentioned programs.

peace
Chris

http://www.chrisgardner.com

Collapse -
by Brad23 / June 25, 2004 6:41 AM PDT

Hi again I forgot one thing empty recycle bin. because I think your temp files will go there when you delete.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!