HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Programs open very slow

by Dlgreenie / January 21, 2006 3:50 AM PST

I am running a Compaq Presario S6300NX and have XP Home Edition. I am using a Linksys wireless router and have a broadband connection. Since right after I hooked up to Linksys and the broadband I have been having problems. I have most worked out but the one problem I have left is any program I want to open takes sometimes 2 minutes. After a program is opened it runs fine and if I close it and reopen it in the next few minutes or so it will open quickly. I havegone into msconfig and the only things on the start up are the things Compaq told me I needed to have on. Does anyone have some ideas what I should do to correct this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Programs open very slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Programs open very slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try toggling the XP DMA to PIO and back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 3:54 AM PST
Collapse -
Ref: Toggling the XP DMA to PIO and back
by Dlgreenie / January 21, 2006 4:07 AM PST

I'm sorry but I think you are talking over my head on this one as I have no idea how to do that.

Collapse -
Read the discussion at the link from top to bottom.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 4:15 AM PST

And the link in that discussion.

It's a simple procedure. You can do it.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Ref: Toggling the XP DMA to PIO and back
by Dlgreenie / January 21, 2006 5:34 AM PST

Thanks this seems to have fixed it. What an easy procedure. Thanks

Collapse -
Best of continued luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 12:23 PM PST

This procedure has nailed this one 50% of the time when spyware or pests were already being addressed.

Glad it helped and thanks for the report back.

Bob

Collapse -
eliminating start up programs
by waltzingmargie / January 21, 2006 4:38 AM PST

Windows XP Gateway 506 GR
When you get to the list of start ups and they are abbeviated so you don't know what they are and you don't want to delete something important I was given an org address that tells all BUT I lost it. Does anyone know what it is? (Explains abbreviations)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.