Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Programs Not Responding

by ozican / March 5, 2005 4:42 AM PST

Can someone tell me why a program stops responding, it seems lately it is happening all the time. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Programs Not Responding
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Programs Not Responding
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be a lot of things
by Yew / March 5, 2005 5:59 AM PST

But my first guess, would be spyware. It's an ever increasing problem, and all you're seeing now is amature hour. It's going to get a LOT worse in times to come.

Pick your favorite search engine and start reading up on links that crop up for "spyware removal". And be sure to stop using IE, and make Mozilla Firefox or Opera your new browser of choice.

Collapse -
Please no more "safe" Mozilla-selling..no browser is safe !
by viperone / March 5, 2005 6:29 AM PST
Collapse -
There could be lots of reasons...
by viperone / March 5, 2005 6:57 AM PST

Hi there !

Some thoughts...

Is your OS updated ?
Do you have an updated AV-program installed and have you scanned recently ?
Do you have a spywarescanner installed ?
Have you done a disc-cleanup ?
Have you done a defrag ?
When checking your tasklist (right-clicking on the bottom of your screen)...is there any odd/bad EXE?s running...here is some help to identify them....
http://www.processlibrary.com/notfound/index.php
http://www.tasklist.org/tasklist_b.html

Good luck Happy
Viper

Collapse -
Non-responding Programs
by rattlinbones / March 5, 2005 9:37 AM PST

Sounds like a virus to me.

Collapse -
Thanx
by ozican / March 5, 2005 11:00 PM PST

Thank you for all the suggestions
What I have done:
I have Nortons System works running, and scans weekly
I have spybot, which I run about once a week
I have Win XP
I have automatic updates
I have run scan disk
Would like to hear from everyone again with other suggestions

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) w/o Norton, list five or more anti-parasite suits used
by Cursorcowboy / March 6, 2005 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Thanx
Collapse -
??
by ozican / March 6, 2005 3:12 AM PST

im sorry i dont understand

Collapse -
He means
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: ??

how do you protect your computer from hackers, viruses, spyware, and adware?

You need a firewall to keep out hackers, an anti-virus program, (updated and regularly used to scan your computer) to keep out viruses.

You need 2 or 3 anti-spyware programs, similarly updated and scans done regularly to keep out spyware, and an anti-aware program for adware.

If you have none of these, your computer is very much at risk, and your programs may well be infected, as well as many other things these malware can do.

Mark

Collapse -
Spyware
by ozican / March 6, 2005 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: He means

I have a firewall, my anti virus is set for auto update and auto-protect enabled.
I just have the one spyware program "Spybot"
Boy, its getting that its hardly worth using the internet. I met my husband over the internet 3 years ago, so ive always used it for research etc.

Collapse -
Ahhh, that's nice
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 8:03 PM PST
In reply to: Spyware

Meeting your husband over the internet is what it is all about.

I agree Ozican that the internet is becoming more and more problematical, but with care you can keep your computer safe and clean.

You already have a firewall, anti-virus and Spybot Seearch & Destroy, and thats all good.

For spyware we recommend a 2 pronged defence system. In addition to Spybot, you could also download and install SpywareBlaster from http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html , and when installed, update it's definitions and "Enable all protection". It works in the background, and doesn't need scanning as the other anti-malware programs do. It complements Spybot nicely.

Also, some of us are beta testing Microsoft's AntiSpyware program, and we have few problems with it so far.

For adware, you may want to consider downloading and installing an anti-adware program like Ad-Aware SE Personal from http://lavasoftusa.com , updating the definitions and scanning with it.

Keep your Windows uptodate with all critical updates.

And finally, you could consider using a different browser to Internet Explorer. The favorite at the moment is Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org , and is considered more secure than IE. Just retain IE for windows updates.

Good luck

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Programs Not Responding
by JJ / March 6, 2005 6:56 AM PST

The reason why programs stop responding is that there are errors written in to the operating system and or program.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.