Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

programs auto- updates

by matthewmanning / April 2, 2005 3:45 AM PST

Im running SP2, ZA, Webroot spysweeper, AVG , and Mcafee Virus scan. My question is __ Should I need to keep Mcafee virus scan even though I am not getting the auto updates because I have stopped using I/E and switched to Mozilla firefox. If want to get the update I need to first unblock I/E then go to Mcafee website and open my account then click on my products, then install/update and then the updates are installed , this is crazy! Is there a plug in or something I can get for M/F?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: programs auto- updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: programs auto- updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Matthew..
by Larry38 / April 2, 2005 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: programs auto- updates

I also have SP2, ZA, and AVG (Paid Version)plus a couple others, and use Firefox. I did have Norton 2003 and removed it. You have a choice, leave Mcafee on your PC as a back up, since you have AVG or remove it. I kept Norton till my year expired and then removed it. But the choice is yours to make. I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions.
HTH
Larry

Collapse -
Additional....
by Larry38 / April 2, 2005 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: programs auto- updates

Matthew,
Just noticed your post on WXP Forum. I have to use IE every so often, since some websites require active X, but I have used both AVG Free(about a year) and now AVG Paid. I have not had any problems at all. I did keep Norton as a backup, till I could not get any new updates and then removed it.

If I understand your question correctly, you can still update Mcafee manually, but it's a big pain. I would keep it as a backup as long as you can get current updates, when you can no longer update just remove it. You can only run one AV at a time.
HTH
Larry

Collapse -
Thanks
by matthewmanning / April 2, 2005 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: Additional....

What is HTH? I have both AV's running at the same time, but only do virus scans seperately? Is this ok? OK so when I do these updates does whatever they install just overide the old version, because it acts like is't installing the whole thing over?

Collapse -
RE Thanks...
by Larry38 / April 2, 2005 1:00 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Matthew,
HTH is just short for Hope This Helps. It's recommended that you only run one antivirus at a time as they could cause problems running togeather, however if you are not haveing any problems, just run them both. Norton and AVG ran good togeather, but I kept Norton disabled except to update it. As to the program updateing, the whole program will not update, just the new updated virus database that it will scan for. The only time the complete program will update is when a new version of that program is released, and then you must uninstall the old version and download the new version. Hope this answers your question.
Have a Good Night.
Larry

Collapse -
many thanks
by matthewmanning / April 2, 2005 4:16 PM PST
In reply to: RE Thanks...

I don't seem to be having any trouble running both at the same time. If I do I will just disable Mcafee.

Thanks again,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?