Question

Programming / Memory

Hello. If I have a computer with Windows XP desktop with 2GB ram 320Gb HD...am I able to 'program' the computer? Am I able to go to a DOS prompt? If the computer does not have that..what facility should I use to be able to 'program' the machine?

Memory: Is it 'valuable' at all to optimize the memory resources of a computer by downloading a program that does so...or turning off or disabling some programs? How does one usally do that/

Thanksj for any and all responses
Bye
Peter

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Programming / Memory
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Programming / Memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Program in what way?

Program in what way? There's programming in terms of automation, like programming a VCR/DVR to record a show at a specific time, and then there's programming like making a new word processor of video game. There's also a fair bit in between.

Memory optimization programs, however, are a complete waste of time. Kind of ludicrous of an idea if you stop and think about it for even half a second. A program, which takes memory to run, is somehow going to give you MORE memory. Those programs can also cause programs, and even the OS, to crash, so they are best left alone.

If you're running XP on 2GB of RAM, you're probably fine. Unless you're experiencing some sort of performance issues, in which case you'll need to be more specific, just leave well enough alone. XP and later versions of Windows do a pretty good job of managing that on their own.

- Collapse -
Response

Hello. Thanks for responding. I would like to simply learn how to program 'on my own'....like learning how to write algorithms. Where or how can I begin? From the 'Dos prompt'...writing little 'batch' programs? Is there a different or better way to start?

As far as memory is concerned..I was wondering whether there is a 'facility' I could use to where I could simply 'dump' presently not using programs in...in order to devote all of my computers resources to a specific activity?...then simply 'reactivate' those programs 'back to the desktop'?

Thanks for any responses
Bye
P.

- Collapse -
My question is this.

Given we have the web today, why didn't you head to google.com and type in Programming Tutorials?

Or Free Compilers?

Asking in forums is fine but the answer won't fit in this small box unless we tell you to use search sites.
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: programming

If two languages are unsuitable for learning how to write algorithms, it are SQL and Windows command language. Practically anything else is fine.

When I was young, we learned to program in Pascal. Find the book you like in http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=pascal+programing and download the free compiler you like. Just as a start.
You'll learn useful things as finding out if a number is a prime number, if a certain sentence is a palindrome, how to sort a set of strings in alfabetical sequence and traversing a binary tree.

As for your memory question, that's already done by Windows.

Kees

PS. A nice test sentence for your palindrome checking program:
Dennis, Nell, Edna, Leon, Nedra, Anita, Rolf, Nora, Alice, Carol, Leo, Jane, Reed, Dena, Dale, Basil, Rae, Penny, Lana, Dave, Denny, Lena, Ida, Bernadette, Ben, Ray, Lila, Nina, Jo, Ira, Mara, Sara, Mario, Jan, Ina, Lily, Arne, Bette, Dan, Reba, Diane, Lynn, Ed, Eva, Dana, Lynne, Pearl, Isabel, Ada, Ned, Dee, Rena, Joel, Lora, Cecil, Aaron, Flora, Tina, Arden, Noel, and Ellen sinned.
But I'd start simpler with just Eve and Anna.

CNET Forums