Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Programmes Not opening on Windows XP

by bryn34 / August 14, 2006 1:04 AM PDT

Model Type Sony Vaio FS315Z

Windows XP Home

I have this laptop for 7 months and mainly use it for its media strengths. It has had Norton Anti Virus and Norton Firewall the wholw time however recently the definitions subscriptions have lapsed.

I am now in a position where the pc boots up fine. However none of my programmes will start, I can't get to the system restore menu through help, and through system start up I also can't do a system restore.

The main error messages are from microsoft stating that an error has occurred and windows must close the programme down. I am on the verge of doing a full recovery but wondered if there is anything else I can try first.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Programmes Not opening on Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Programmes Not opening on Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Programmes Not opening on Windows XP
by Tufenuf / August 14, 2006 1:21 AM PDT

bryn34, If you can't access the Internet with the problem computer use another computer and go to the link below, scroll down to Line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix to a floppy or CD. Transfer the reg file fix to the problem computer's hard drive the double click on the reg file and answer yes to the import prompt. It may correct the problem.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
And......
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 5:19 AM PDT

if Tufenuf's suggestion works and you get your programs working again, get the firewall back on and the anti-virus updated and running as soon as possible.

You will also need a suite, (ie, more than one or two), of anti-spyware utilities loaded as well.

If you need free options, there are plenty of free firewalls, anti-virus and anti-spyware applications available.

Mark

Collapse -
by bryn34 / August 14, 2006 7:49 PM PDT
In reply to: And......

Thanks

Collapse -
And also...
by Papa Echo / August 14, 2006 11:06 AM PDT

..if this does not work, can you browse your HD with Windows Explorer ? Can you open up the "My Computer" folder ?

Collapse -
by bryn34 / August 14, 2006 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: And also...

Thanks for your reply yes I can get to my computer and I can open it up.

Collapse -
Yes....
by Papa Echo / August 14, 2006 10:17 PM PDT

...but what about Windows Explorer, which is an "exe" ? Viruses like can disable exes. Try putting cannot open exe unto Google for information and fixes.

Collapse -
by bryn34 / August 14, 2006 8:01 PM PDT

Thanks for your attempt to help. I succesfully loaded your exefix file and it imported fine. However it had no effect and the relevant files still don't open. If you have any further ideas please let me know.

Cheers

Collapse -
System Restore ??
by Decorte16 / August 14, 2006 5:33 AM PDT

Just a thought, but your problem may be solved by simply restoring your system to an earlier time BEFORE your problems started.
Decorte

Collapse -
by bryn34 / August 14, 2006 7:45 PM PDT
In reply to: System Restore ??

Thanks for your response. The plot thickens on this one I cannot get to system restore in windows. I have tried to do a system restore before booting up in safe mode, however I got the response System restore wno't protect your computer and it didn't proceed.

Collapse -
If Your Firewall & AV Have Been Compromised......
by tobeach / August 14, 2006 5:02 PM PDT

you've possibly already been hit by malware. Many attack your AV like a popping up Jack in the Box! Soon as you can get to net with AV & firewall, I'd run an online scan.
If you can get to safe mode, you may be able to run your sys restore by DOS Command. Can't remember correct syntax but think something like run:restrui.exe +enter.
You maybe able to access it from safe mode thu desktop even if not by normal mode.
Worst case would be if Trojan or virus/worm has invaded your sys restore files and they have to dumped(deleted).
Good luck! Happy

Collapse -
by bryn34 / August 14, 2006 7:48 PM PDT

Thanks for your reply. I did get to system restore in safe mode, however it stopped with the message System restore won't protect your computer.
I will try your suggestion from the Dos command.

Cheers

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / August 14, 2006 9:10 PM PDT

bryn34, Follow the instuctions under "Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt" at the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

Have you tried running a virus scan in SAFE mode?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by bryn34 / August 14, 2006 11:48 PM PDT

I will follow the instructions to system restore tonight. If this works then I will be able to run a virus scan. However due to the exe problem I doubt if the virus scan will work in safe mode as Norton Antivirus crashes when I start it up.

Thanks again

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks , Tufenuf ! I Was Sure You or Mark Would Know!
by tobeach / August 15, 2006 5:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
by bryn34 / August 15, 2006 6:54 PM PDT

I followed your suggestions and unfortunately couldn't do a scan in safe mode or start system restore from the command prompt.
The error message again was System restore encountered a problem and had to close. Digging deeper the error was a module 1.

I am on the verge of doing a full system recovery, unless you have any other ideas.

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / August 15, 2006 10:10 PM PDT

bryn34, If you can't access the Internet with the problem computer use another computer and go to the link below and download the "Fixswen.inf" file to a floppy or CD. Transfer the Fixswen.inf file to the problem computer's hard drive then right-click on the file and choose install. It's worth a try.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.aspx

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by bryn34 / August 28, 2006 9:55 PM PDT

Just to let you know that Sony have now repaired my laptop and have replaced the hard drive and the System memory. The problem in the end was obviously with the hardware.

Thanks again for all of your help. This forum will be recommended to my friends and colleagues.

Collapse -
I Could be Wrong but My Feeling is That Restore was Trying..
by tobeach / August 15, 2006 6:55 PM PDT

to warn you that Norton was corrupt and sys restore couldn't repair that by back dating, therefore you'd be unprotected by Norton/ or that the expiry has disabled it. It sounds like you have a 3 or 6 month freebie trial version of Norton (now expired). It seems you have a choice of pay or un-install Norton. Even though it won't open (crashes) perhaps the un-installer still works. if not, there is a removal tool available here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=&docid=2001092114452606&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=
IT ALMOST seems like Norton has effectively created a kill bit for Restore by preventing Norton(expired) being available for the restoration.
The next question then might be: do you like it enough to pay Nortons price forever or perhaps switch to one of the always free AV/firewalls available such as AVG, Avast/Zone alarm, Outpost personal etc. Several mentioned w/links in this post:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=114259&messageID=1298628
IF you want to dump Norton, I suggest you download and save to disk(my docs) your choices(s) BEFORE Norton un-install. I'm using AVG Free (for several years now).
The next question then might be, do you have Sun Java installed or only MS's version?? You could look in your Control Panel for a Coffee Cup Icon (Sun Java). If Sun's, you can do online scan Here:
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php
There is a similar scan for non-java browsers (IE w/ Active-X )here:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
BUT*** Norton has been known (in some versions) to NOT ALLOW a competitors Active-X online AV program to successfully land & run but usually the Java version works OK.
Beyond that, do we believe the system files have been corrupted and causing programs not to run, by malware, virus, Trojan or Norton mess ? If you believe so, after Norton un-install, & online scan, you could run a CheckDisk/repair to correct any errors. This is short of a full OS re-install/reformat & you won't loose your files, pics etc.& won't be re-installing factory spyware/foistware/freebie trial ware. Maybe factory has "customized" enough that it would put those in again, especially if you only got a "restore" disk rather than proper MS OS disk. Instructions here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=154450&messageID=1723444
Can't promise any of the above will absolutely save you, but maybe....Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
I Could be Wrong but My Feeling is That Restore was Trying..
by bryn34 / August 28, 2006 9:49 PM PDT

Just to let you know that Sony have now repaired my laptop and have replaced the hard drive and the System memory. The problem in the end was obviously with the hardware.

Thanks again for all of your help. This forum will be recommended to my friends and colleagues.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.