Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Program Won't Delete

by FredS / June 24, 2006 3:53 PM PDT

I recently downloaded and tried a small, freeware reminder program. "Reminders for Real People" (Real People Software). When I decided I didn't need the program, I tried to delete it.

First I saw there was no uninstaller in its program folder. So, instead, I used my Win 98SE control panel's "add/remove program" function. After that the program was no longer listed in the "add/remove" list but I noticed the program's small, quick-launch icon was still in my system tray.

Then I checked my computer's Programs folder (Start, Programs) and found that the "Reminder" program was still listed there. However, when I put my mouse over the reminder program's folder, a drop-down menu with most of System Mechanic 5's elements showed up. I don't what the connection is between the freeware reminder program and System Mechanic.

So I closed all open windows and opened my System Mechanic 5 program. I thought maybe I could use that program's more powerful uninstall software function to get rid of "Reminders for Real People". Unfortunately, the "Reminders" program does not appear on the System Mechanic's main list of programs to uninstall or on SM's "Uninstall Program Not Listed" list, either.

So before I try to manually delete this program and end up with parts of it scattered all over my computer, would someone advise me of the best action to take?

Perhaps you can suggest a (freeware) uninstaller program that is powerful enough to completely delete this reminder program? If I must manually delete the program, what's the best method to use? Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Program Won't Delete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Program Won't Delete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Deleting program.
by Kees Bakker / June 24, 2006 7:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Program Won't Delete

What I would do:
1. Start>Run>MSCONFIG and see if the program is run in the Startup tab. If so, uncheck it.
2. Reboot and delete the folder of that program in Program Files. If it refuses to be deleted, reboot in Safe Mode and delete it from there.
3. Manually clean up desktop, Start>Programs and the like.
4. Accept that traces of the program might still be in the registry.

Kees

Collapse -
Try this. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 24, 2006 10:36 PM PDT

Go here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301 and download the utility. Run it and it will install the program, it'll show up in the start menu. Run it and it should show all installed programs. You can delete the offender from there.

If the program is not listed, then it's probably not listed in the regestry. If that's the case you can safely delete the program.

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
One Down; One to Go . . .
by FredS / June 25, 2006 12:03 AM PDT

Thanks for the info from you both. I followed Kee's instructions and deleted the program successfully. As Kees said, there may be fragments still left.

However, I only just saw Coryphaeus' post. I have checked out the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility web site and will read more about it now.

Thank you much for the help.

Collapse -
Try a couple of Free Cleanup tools...
by skycatcher / June 27, 2006 12:18 AM PDT

Your program may have uninstalled OK first time but had a poor uninstaller that left shortcuts and folders on your HDD.

Use Windows Explorer to delete the old folders in Program Files. Now try some free tools like Ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) and EasyCleaner (http://www.toniarts.com/products.php?PHPSESSID=6cbf6fda9d7ddefdb733f067debc5ecd). They are possibly also available from www.download.com as well.

These programs will tidy up things like unused icons and registry entries from non-existent programs - and a lot more junk as well.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks - I'll have a look for them today
by FredS / June 27, 2006 12:48 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?