General discussion

Program to log all running applications?

This question relates to the ongoing discussion in "pop up in task bar." Myself and several others are having problems with a mysterious program that will load up minimized in the taskbar for a second or two and then disappear. This happens every 5-10 minutes or so, and it never stays long enough to find out what it is. I'm wondering if there are any programs that will log ALL applications run on the computer. I've tried one but it never detected it because it only seemed to work on program or windows that were open for at least 5-10 seconds or so. Just trying to find whatever this program is. Any suggestions? And yes we've tried all the usual adware and spyware remedies, etc. Thanks.

Sean

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Program to log all running applications?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Program to log all running applications?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
So you've had your Hijack moment?

If so, http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml is your next stop since Filemon will...

"Filemon's timestamping feature will show you precisely when every open, read, write or delete, happens, and its status column tells you the outcome. FileMon is so easy to use that you'll be an expert within minutes. It begins monitoring when you start it, and its output window can be saved to a file for off-line viewing. It has full search capability, and if you find that you're getting information overload, simply set up one or more filters. "

Bob

- Collapse -
thank you

Thank you. This looks very useful. Now to try it out and see if it can find what I'm looking for...

Sean

CNET Forums

Forum Info